Paul Thurrott on Macworld Expo 2005 Keynote

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by rosalindavenue, Jan 13, 2005.

1. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

This is worth a read. Thurrott, the #1 Windows fanboy, has written a surprisingly glowing and even-handed review of Tuesday's keynote and the products introduced there. Sure, there is some kneejerk Gates defense in there, but it is clear that Thurott has a healthy respect for apple and its new products.

http://www.internet-nexus.com/2005_01_09_archive.htm#110558221384765759

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    wow not inflammatory like his usual pieces maybe he will get a mac ;D hahaha yeah right

3. 3Memos macrumors 6502

It seemed like there were touches of sarcasm in his writing. It was hard to tell if he was joking or not, but his final grade did make it more plausible his review.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

He owns a few Macs. I believe he still owns an iMac G4, and at one point owned an iBook.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Who replaced Deep Thurrott with that Apple pod person? :D

I just can't believe that it's him, after all these years, writing that stuff. Maybe, someone cracked the computer and uploaded that stuff. It can't be him. He doesn't do that. :D

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

well...

some stuff he is still wrong about, and some of his critique is spot on,,,

but his glowing review of the mac mini is reallt quite something!!

"the mac is back baby!!!" should we read "steven p jobs has got a gun against my head and is forcing me to write this?
    he actualy said he wants one

his bones about the amount of ram apple of is spot on, we all agree with it (generally they should double it) video cards also.

as for the more expensive jargon, well its his opinion but for some reason a hell of alot of reporters seem to have a problem with apple making stuff well and making there hardware and software good to use, we all know the specs on the pc "that cost half as much for the same thing" are indeed not the same, so i wont go into it - unless some reader of this wants to challenge the fact that macs are the same prices for better products notion, then i will disprove you :)

nice report, nearly all true and credit as its due

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wow, that almost brought a tear to my eye. I mean, really, Thurrott? Praising Apple? Lots of A grades. Not only that, but lots of almost over-the-top praise.

I think that, ala Smithers and Mr. Burns, Thurrott once again had his advances thwarted by Mr. Gates and is now cheering overly loud for the competition (although he couldn't quite find the strength to actually criticize Bill). ;)

Seriously, though, he makes good points - and ones just as good on his lower grades as on his higher ones.

8. rosalindavenue thread starter macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

His last long apple piece (a couple of weeks ago on the same site) was about his 12" powerbook. He decided he did not like it and bought an HP Pentium M to replace it on the road. He was particularly peeved about the lid/screen warping, he ragged on the lack of legacy ports and card readers, and he said it was "slow." However, he did buy the 12" PB in 2004 (he wrote an article about going to the apple store to get it). Just goes to show that if you are a true fan of computers, you are a fan of apple. Even if you make your living running Microsoft sites and writing Microsoft books.

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Positive reviews by this guy and Dvorak...what's this world coming to? Up is down, left is right...it's some kind of bizarro universe :)