Paul Thurrott Reviews Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac-er, Apr 23, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

Window's fanboy, Paul Thorrott, has reviewed OS 10.4 "Tiger".

Surprisingly, he gives it 4 out of 5 "Windows"/stars, and doesn't have too many negative things to say about it.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Personally I give OSX Tiger 5 out of 5.

ps. Thurrott is an idiot.

3. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

"Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is the strongest OS X release yet and a worthy competitor to Windows XP"

LOL.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So many things to pick on in that article I don't even know where to start.

5. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Turdott??

Yeah, anybody who writes Windows is easier for beginners because when they turn it on the first time there is a "start" button whereas OS X hath no "start" button and is, henceforth, more difficult for computer neophytes to grasp...

... is an out-and-out moron who could really benefit from being defecated on.

6. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about his review. Do I agree with every word of it? No.

Are his criticisms fair though? I think so. Tiger is a minor upgrade. It's a tweaking of Panther, adding quite a few new features. But to quite a few people (himself included) OS 9 to OS X was a major upgrade, whereas the OS X point increases are minor ones. That's fair enough as far as I see it - it's an opinion. It's not as if he's saying it sucks or anything - he clearly states that it's the best version of X to date.

What's so wrong with that?

(I also must note that his criticisms about Quicktime 7 are especially pertinent - Apple list the new full screen mode in Quicktime as a "feature" of Tiger - despite the fact you have to purchase Quicktime 7 Pro to get it. That is especially poor, and also false advertising.)

7. Gee macrumors 65816

I thought it was a reasonably well-balanced piece, considering it's on 'Windows Supersite'.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd tell him to do us all a favor and jump off a bridge...

But that would just polute the water he lands in. :(

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe. There are a few droplets of valid points, but they are awash in a sea of crap IMO.

10. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I'm kind of chuckling when he mentions Konfabulator and Widgets. We're talking about MS criticizing Apple for copying, LOL. Talk about a grand ol' conversation between the kettle and the pot.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

12. dpclark macrumors member

heres one

"Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is the strongest OS X release yet and a worthy competitor to Windows XP"

what kind of mind altering substances is this guy doing? - a competitor? OS X has owned XP since its release.

13. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey if you guys (and gals) want to get really pissed off read...

XP vs OS X, where he says OS X is copying Windows :rolleyes:

My favorite part:
    Does he not realize the Apple logo at the top IS our "Start" button? (we just aren't stupid enough to have to spell, it out, literally)

And, frankly, our 'start' button is easier to use, includes everything he mentions, looks better because it doesn't cascade/animate or have icons all over it. Plus, it lists all your "shut down-options" without bringing up another dialog box. Moron.

14. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Given that his audience is Windows users, this may well be news to them. It's called "writing for your audience".

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

When what you change in the version number is to the right of a decimal point (e.g., 10.3 > 10.4), most people will view that as a minor upgrade (most present company excluded, apparently). If 10.4 was actually called OS XI, THEN it would be difficult to argue that it's not a major upgrade. But when the UI doesn't really change too much and you're adding just a few significant features and a LOT of bug fixes/tweaks, it's pretty much a minor upgrade.

Windows XP is still Windows XP 4 years later, but SP-2 is quite a bit better than base-level Windows XP. The same applies to OS X 10.4 compared to OS X 10.0 or 10.1. If you don't change the version number or the name too much, it's pretty much the same product.

16. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

he says about dashboard: "Um, right. Since PCs and Macs have had tiny utility applications since the early 1980's, it's unclear why Dashboard widgets can't simply work on the normal Mac desktop (which is how Konfabulator works, incidentally). Having to move into and out of the Dashboard to perform these tasks seems a bit unnecessary. Why segregate them like that?"

but one of our members here (can't find the thread at the moment) showed us how to do this...just press f12 or some key and you can use one widget on the desktop. this guy needs to do his homework before criticizing "absent" features, which are there if you play around with it enough

17. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Absolutely wrong.
    From a developers' perspective, its a HUGE HUGE upgrade.
    This one really pales in comparisson to even Panther in terms of
    new API and features. CoreImage, Spotlight, And definitaly CoreData,
    Coredata being the biggest thing I am thankful for. Not to mention acceleration of the Quartz 2D, not just the compositor, theres a lot there
    to make applications really be not only fast to develop but shine.

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I didn't know iChat AV required a G5 or dual proc. to use video conferencing. Humm... I learned something from that article.

19. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i also read a review by a mac guy that commented about how win XP was a marginally better than win 98, which elicited boos and hisses from the win people. XP was certainly a bigger update over 98 than tiger is to panther, but windows needed it, and it fixed a lot of things that were wrong in 98. but that's the problem with windows - updates are to fix problems with previous systems. for the mac, updates are to add new features and services. both updates are making things "better," but for far different reasons. big world of difference, IMO, and one reason i'm a mac guy.

20. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I didn't catch that in the article, but that's wrong. It requires Dual 1 GHz G4 or better to start a chat with four people, and then other requirements for different situations. Read about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat/
    -Chase

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't used Konfabulator, but surely putting widgets on the desktop would still require a keypress, be it F11 to show the desktop, or manually minimising/hiding everything. So why not have a Dashboard key? (F12)

22. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Here it is. It was on the side.

Attached Files:

23. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't know that Tiger will not come with AppleWorks (and yet it still comes with Sherlock...).

Is this officially the end of AppleWorks?
    Will you still be able to buy it in the stores?

24. chris h 1997 macrumors newbie

25. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

AppleWorks only comes with consumer macs, not pro macs or with the OS. Yes, you can still purchase AppleWorks online and in stores.
    -Chase