Paul Thurrott's math regarding mac marketshare

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 26, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    Can We Please Just Ignore this Guy?

The man is not necessarily misinformed, but definitely very biased. His musings on Mac OS X and Apple are really not constructive, educational, informative or well written. MacRumors community, please stop posting his articles: the only thing we do is pick apart his statements or flame him. We can do much more productive things during the time it takes to post our responses. See? I just waited 5 minutes reading the statement, and writing this. I want my five minutes back!
  3. macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    that's what you get for someone who's well known for being one of the most pro-M$ people out there
  4. macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    As long as he keeps writing, I will continue to flame him.
    At Macworld SF David Pogue, who is surely much more in the know than this guesstimate blogger, said that although the Mac's market share, computers sold, is 2, 3, or 5 percent based on who you ask, its usage share, computers in use, is 16%.
    This guy is retarded. I would definitely like to see him and Pogue in a battle of the wits, I think we all know who would win.
  5. macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    An actual quote from his page:
    "Misologist. Hatred of reason, argument, or enlightenment. In clearer terms, a person who wants to win an argument more than learn the truth. I deal with these people regularly."
  6. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    "But let's say it's 1 billion."

Why not just say it's 1 trillion? It's equally (un)substantiated, and help's Paul's argument out a thousand times better.

edit: I

That's one of the responses or whatever. Holy smokes, what a strange statement.
  7. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    I think I gave up taking this guy seriously a long time ago.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2003
    Hey man, this stuff is out there.

Gotta love the leaps of logic.

Maybe there are a billion PC users in the world but from what I've seen in developing nations is that most users simply "rent time" at public cafes to check their emails or chat. The term "personal computer" hardly applies to them since many of this billion will never own a PC of their own.

Most of them won't have the means or resources to make a valid choice between Mac or Windows. Chances are it'll be a pirated version of Windows or whatever they can buy for $5 on the street.
  9. macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2003
    ThurROTt's math

Okay, how many WORKING PCs are there out there? What's the percentage of sold PCs vs actual PCs that are used?

If I had to replace my Mac everytime I had to replace my PC... (fill in here).

Paul Thurrott actually replied to a previous comment I made to him re: AAC vs. WMA. Funny thing was he said that anyone in the pro audio field felt that WMAs are better. Sadly, I had to inform him that ain't was the case (I have 17+) years in the field... Basically, he just likes to get our hearts pumped...

Pay him no-never-mind

10. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    I just wasted 5 minutes reading though his site.

5 minutes of my life wasted, when I could have been more constructive.. such as watching paint dry.

In his responses to SJ quotes, he took quite a few things out of context.
  11. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    I move for a ban on Paul Thurott articles from this site :(
  12. macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    Please Jump!

Paul, as a lemming, please it is your time to jump from the cliff, don't hestitate there are millions waiting for you!
  13. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
  14. macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    No! That's the worst thing to do!

The BEST thing to do is to keep posting his posts, with rebuttals, so there's a fighting chance to counteract the FUD!
  15. macrumors 6502

Feb 22, 2003
    USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
    He gives the word idiot a bad slant

I see many people still using really old Macs and using OS 8 even!! Thus it is not really possible to know the true number of Mac users but the one way to really overbalance the PC usage is to look at all the "dumb" terminals out there and say that represents valid users when it clearly doesn't. Wagon loads of Dell's do not a user make!

In any case, it's clear that Apple's world-wide market share will continue to drop as cheaper and cheaper PCs land on all the remaining available office desks all over the world. It's an area that Apple could compete in if they wanted... I'm beginning to wish they would come out with the headless box at $499 and abslolutely prove that they can gain market share. The only problem is that supporting this would be costly and so do we really want to see Apple's almost 5 billion in cash slowly slide away? okay! I've answered my own question... I don't want them to make cheap boxes.
    More seriously, even if Apple creeps up to 30 million, 40 million etc, they will still be under 20% "fair usage" numbers and the developers who don't want to develop for them will continue to argue that it is not worth their while. I consider that lazy thinking as there must be many companies that would die for a chance to serve a 30 million market. Perhaps, we shall see Mac apps appear from outside the US as entrepreneurs look at what is still a very respectable market. I hope so.
    GraphicsConverter is one stunning example of this.
  16. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Gotta love the title... "An Honest Look and Mac OS X, Linux, and Other Windows Alternatives."

Ha ha.

And boy, he's sure right, MS comes out with far more creative products than Apple :D
  17. macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2004
    Article talking about math and then this...

Lol "Paul Thurrott's math regarding mac marketshare " so fun when the math is wrong!

1 billion = 1000 million

10 million OSX user/ 1000 million PC user = 1 OSX user / 100 PC users = 1 percent and not 0.1 percent.

That's the most simple math and if I jugde Paul's other articles after I have seen this gigantic fault I would say keep your fingers away!

18. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    No, YOUR idea is the a bad idea.

He wants to generate hits, he want to be 'popular' link to his crappola site and he has to reason to post this BS.

Paul -- "End your life immediately"

yes... billions of dollars is niche.

IP == Firewall BANNED.
  19. macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2004
    Response: Sure, you're the CEO of the company getting the best part of the deal. What about HP's users though. Are they getting a good deal? Will the "hPod" work with all of HP's existing products? What about Protected AAC?

Second Response: Yes, you actually have a point here, the so called hPod will only work with HP's existing computers, and the Fairplay AAC format. Unfortunately, no support will be provided for HPs scanners or printers.

I mean, what was the man thinking? I think the eggnog is a little stale at the Thurrott household.
  20. macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    Gad, this kind of sloppy journalism really annoys me. And to think that I used to write for this guy's site !!! (That's no joke, I really did several years ago.)

Anyway, here's a copy of an e-mail that I sent to him. Hope you enjoy it.

21. macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2003
    First of all, he cannot even count: 10/1000 is 1% and not 0.1%, as mauti just said.

Second of all, counting OS X users vs. all PC users is absurd. My guess would be that there are just as many Mac users running OS X, as there are Win users running XP (~40%)

So... The real math is 25 million Mac users vs. 500 million Windows Users, which is more like 5%

/ f

[mod. edit - Don't try to circumvent the profanity filter.]
  22. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Sounds like his math isn't the craziest thing he's spouting

Someone on one of these threads quoted Thurott as saying today's nasty MyDoom virus is a "virus spread by UNIX mail servers"!!!

Anyone have a link to him actually saying that? If he did, I guess he's right, UNIX mail servers, just like Windows ones, will transmit mail... and that mail may contain viruses. ALL mail servers pass on whatever email the admins decide to let through. This is a Windows virus, carried over the Internet by ALL types of mailserver but ONLY infecting and reproducing on Windows! Yet MS's paid journalist spins it like it's a UNIX virus :) Throw in mention of an attack on a major UNIX vendor (SCO--and not by UNIX insecurity but by DoS) and MS comes out smelling clean :)

Now THAT's credibility!

(I wouldn't have given the guy hits if I knew the link was TO Thurott instead of against him.)