Paul's Superbowl songs

Discussion in 'Community' started by goodtimes5, Feb 7, 2005.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Because I'm only 16, there's a generation gap with me and Paul McCartney.

I liked the songs he sang for the half-time show, and I was just wondering what those songs were.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Someone else will have to answer this question, I am late taking my Geritol. :D

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

the one where everyone was going "na, na, na, na, na-na-na-na" that was hey jude :)

I'm only 14 and i knew that.

4. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Drive My Car - Originally performed by the Beatles
    Get Back - Originally performed by the Beatles
    Live and Let Die - Originally performed by Paul McCartney and the Wings
    Hey Jude - Originally performed by the Beatles

pretty sure that was in order that they were played too

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

"Live And Let Die" was actually written for the James Bond movie "Live and Let Die"

And then later covered by the band Guns and Roses.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you enjoyed the music, I encourage you to check out the Beatles' Anthology albums (three two-disc sets) and perhaps Wings' Band on the Run.

I'm something of a Beatles nut myself, even though John was shot dead before I could walk.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Beatles 1 is also a must, Its all of their number one hits.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm not trying to be rude, but there are people out there who don't know all the Beatles' songs? :eek:

Just kidding. It's just that I've known just about all of them for as long as I can remember because my dad always played them while I was little. To me Beatles music is like air or water, one of those things you need and usually take for granted.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

In my house, whenever (recorded) music is played by my parents, it's usually pretty old. I think the most recent stuff my father listens to (at all, nevermind regularly) would be the Squirrel Nut Zippers. Of course, he just got a very good Leonard Bernstein album for Christmas. But usually, anything they play is 70+ years old (for the composition anyway, not necessarily the recording ;))

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

So was that a subtle reference to marijuana in "Get Back" or is it ok coming from a Beatle.

I'm just wondering, is it just another coincidence al la Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Maybe Paul was being cheeky, he got away with it if he was.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No. Or he did it on purpose just because people would assume that's what he meant.

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds was about a Julian Lennon childhood drawing. John asked him what the picture was and Julian said it was his friend Lucy up in the sky.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Most younger folks wouldn't know of the scrutiny around Beatles songs.

People got into the whole "Paul is dead" thing around the time of Magical Mystery Tour and John uttered "I buried Paul" at the end of Strawberry Fields Forever to fuel the stupidity. Then he sang on Glass Onion that he had a clue for us all/the Walrus was Paul to further mock the silliness.

People read into things way too much, even going as far as to scandalise the lyrics of A Day in the Life ("four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire/... now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall" was assumed to be about a heroin user's needle wounds) and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! ("and of course Henry the Horse dances the waltz" was assumed again to be slang for heroin use).

The lyrics were taken from an odd newspaper report about potholes and an actual circus poster, respectively.

BTW, if anyone thinks the lyrics to Get Back are controversial because of the "California grass" reference, you should have heard it back when it was in its early stages as a political satire called Commonwealth. You'd never have heard that played at the Superbowl.

13. apple2991 macrumors 6502

So John said.

Link

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The irony, of course, is that thanks (I presume) to the Apple vs. Apple issue, you can't get any of these songs from the iTMS.

15. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I've always loved the Beatles music and mythology but watching Paul up there during the Super Bowl was kind of sad. My wife and I were saying "why didn't he invite Ringo to play drums," and "who are those guys up there with him?" Lastly we ended up saying, as we always do after seeing Paul or Ringo - "They killed the wrong two Beatles.'

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

... which brings to mind one of the headlines from The Onion shortly after George Harrison died: "Ringo Next". ;)