Pay $100 to fix my ding and scratches or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moldy lunchbox, Feb 9, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I've had my 5 for a month and i managed to get a ding on the front corner and with a light scratch on the screen beside the front camera. I knew the 5 wouldn't be as tough as the iPhone 4 but my scratch came from merely putting on an olloclip lens. Idk what the ding is from, it just happened today after shooting video.

Basically my mom just bought her an iPhone 5 16gb yesterday, and she would gladly trade phones with mine so i could have a new phone. Shes a complete novice, made me open it, didnt know there was a front camera, wants a big case, etc. But i would have to take hers back and pay $100 to upgrade to 32gb , does anyone think its worth it to do that just over a ding and scratch? I feel nervous after i just signed my 2 year contract and my phone already looks like this. Theres only 14 days for returns so this is my only chance to get rid of the damage it seems. Should I deal with it or swap and pay 100 bucks?

2. macrumors member

Ask yourself this, is $100 worth the minor scratches? Your phone is bound to get scratches sooner or later. I got better things to spend $100 on.

3. macrumors 6502a

tonyy

4. macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I agree with Usehername, it's only a matter of time before you get scratches on it. Can you upload a photo of your scratched phone so we can see how bad it is?

5. macrumors 6502

7thson

This is a perfect opportunity to detach from the iPhones aesthetics and embrace its functionality. Since(if?) the blemishes don't affect the functionality of the device, just roll with it and enjoy using it. If it helps, just tell yourself, "It's just stuff'" and repeat as necessary. Replace it when it no longer meets your needs.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I can take some pics in morning, but its 3am here so im getting ready to sleep. But im leaning with you guys so far. Thankfully the scratch on the screen isn't on the LCD itself but the bezel above it or whatever you call it. But ill post pics soon.

7. macrumors 68020

I have owned my since October 1st. Into the 5th month of ownership and I no longer care or worry about dings. The newness has worn off long ago. And so it will for you.

8. Guest

Does a ding really matter that much?

Stop being selfish and give that 100 to charity.

9. macrumors regular

Ask yourself if it's worth spending $100 on a device that, even if replaced, will likely get dinged and/or have scratches again. Personally, I think it's a waste of money to try to keep a phone in perfect condition. They were meant to be carried around in your pocket and will suffer from wear and tear no matter how much you baby it.

10. Guest

I'm guessing you're the sort of person that wants to increase my taxes

11. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

100 dollars so you can have a scratchfree phone for a couple of weeks max. NO.

12. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I wouldn't spend the money on something that will eventually get scratched again.

13. macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Also not to be mean or ride and I know she offered it, but even if she doesn't mind of you don't want scratches is it right to stick your mom with a phone that has them?

14. macrumors newbie

Your auto-correct is working overtime.

15. macrumors regular

Dings and scratches = character. They're what make your gadget yours. They're how you can immediately distinguish it from a sea of identical gizmos.

Don't hide your scars; revel in them.

16. macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Ya it did sheesh what I get from quickly responding via my phone. Lol

Basically why should your mom get stuck with the scratches you put on your phone even if she doesn't mind?

17. macrumors 6502

Sheesh, for a hundred bones I'd get mine custom anodized. I'm thinking about getting a dark blue done

18. macrumors 65816

No if the scratch isn't on the screen or camera lens, I wouldn't worry about it. Anyways most people use a case, so those scratches are not observed in normal use.

Btw curious, is the iphone 5 screen quality way better than the iphone 4 screen quality like reviewers are claiming. I don't mean the size, but rather the color, sharpness, etc. Thanks!

19. macrumors member

Looks the same to me. In my opinion, just marketing.

20. macrumors 65816

Thanks, good to know.

21. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Buy a case. problem solved. The phone is gonna get scratched during your ownership. Just accept it. The first ones are always the hardest. Try owning a black car. Its much more of a pain.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Haha i said earlier i was gonna take pics, but its not even worth it cus the ding is so small and the scratch only shows up in direct light. You guys convince me to keep my original phone. Atleast it came out the box fine, i think while i made this thread out of "OMG it's not perfect anymore" shock. Thanks for all the responses, and i do donate and volunteer for cystis fibrosis research ;)

23. macrumors 68000

elpmas

$100 = Applecare+. $50 for repair, not a bad investment if possible :p

24. macrumors member

Just put a custom skin on the thing. Cheaper and nobody will notice anything.

25. macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Can't see spending the money as the same thing could happen again.