paying for Leopard if i purchase a MBP?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by proverbs, Dec 11, 2006.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

if i were to purchase a mbp, would i have to pay for the leopard update? i remember something where if you buy it 60 or 90 days or something that the upgrade is free. can anyone confirm?

TIA.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. The free window changes every release. It's always from when a shipping date is announced until it's actually released. As the shipping date has not been announced you would not get a free upgrade if you bought today.

The earliest point a shipping date is likely to be announced is MWSF.

3. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Cool, so it seems the optimal time to buy would be after the announcement but before release, so you get both versions -- the stable current version plus the "latest & greatest" when it's available. Sound right? Is this free upgrade something they advertise at the store or do you need to know about it and ask for it? Sorry, new to Macs...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not sure they'd advertise it, but it'll be on the website. Normally if you buy in that period it's a mail in thing anyway to get the new version...

5. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry if im out of the loop a little bit, but what is MWSF?

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

MacWorld San Francisco... a conference that's likely to have new apple releases (Jan 9, i believe is the start date for a couples of days)

It might not be optimal time to buy that... sure you get both versions, but every time in the future if you need to install leopard, you'd have to install tiger first and install leopard... at least that was the case with tiger (right?)