paying per month with a visa card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fromalk, Dec 17, 2006.

1. fromalk macrumors member

Hello everyone,

i purchased my girlfriend a macbook few months ago, really beautifull machine, I payed for it at once.

Now my own computer went broke, and I'm thinking about purchasing an iMac.
    problem is I don't have enough money to do the actual purchase, I do have an income of about 50€ but scince I'm just a student I wont be able to ask for a loan at a mac store, now I'm looking for a way to pay per month using a visa card, I found something called 'jupiter visa' but isn't there just a way to pay per month using my current visa card?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I know this is the wrong thing to say but why don't you just apply for another credit card and then make you monthly payments on the card.. Or apply on apple's site for a line of credit..

3. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

I looked through that to, however the problem is that I'm a student and don't have an (official) income, therefor I won't be approved :)

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

is your current visa a credit card and not a debit card? if so, then it's an issue of your credit limit? if your credit limit is high enough, then you just use it and pay it off monthly. If your credit limit isn't high enough currently, then you can try asking the issuing bank to raise your limit

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well as an advisor said to me once...if you need it for school then take out more on your student loan but make small payments to said loan even before it's due. Treat it like you bought it using credit without the interest rates only it "has" to be payed off before you graduate school or need another computer.
    With that said only if you "need it" buy it as you know what's best for you ;)

6. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

it is a debit card if my translation is correct, and it's limited to 1250€ a month, so my limit is high enough for a payment of 40€ a month, however I just can't find the correct menu's to check out using a normal visa card.

7. jtown macrumors 6502

If you're a college/university student, you can get all the loans you want unless you've already screwed up and been sent to collections. Everybody wants to lend money to students.

But it sounds like you're confused about finances. Having a monthly spending limit of 1250€ on your debit card doesn't mean you can charge 1250€ a month and make payments. A debit card is not a credit card. You cannot spend more than you have in the account. The fact that it says Visa does not make it a credit card. It makes it a debit card which can be used at any merchant location which accepts Visa. The full amount of the purchase is immediately deducted from your bank account. If you try to charge more than you have in the account, you will get hit with significant penalties.

To be clear, you can't make payments on a debit card purchase.

The "monthly payment" you suggested in your original post is no different than applying for a loan. In fact, that's exactly what you're suggesting. Get a product or service up front with the promise to make payments over time.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sure you can, I applied for an Apple Credit account and got one (albeit not with a huge credit limit). It's actually just a Juniper Bank MasterCard. Although I already had a BofA Student Vista Platinum card, so it's not like my credit was non-existant.

jtown's description of debit vs credit is very good.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can, however, have a debit card that is tied to a small line of credit as well as your bank account.

I had one of these many moons ago and essentially if there were no funds in the account you could run up some small amount of debt and pay it off over time.

B