paying with debit at online apple store.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bigben334, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bigben334 macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2005
    i hav a debit card that i want to use to buy a 12 inch superdrive powerbook. only thing is, my debit card has a daily spending limit of $500 and the powerbook is going to be around $1500 with edu. discount. how will this be done? will i hav to fill my debit card to the limit ($500) everyday and apple will charge it everyday until it is fully paid for??? if not, how will it be done??? thanks.
  2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm sure that the limit is only for ATM machines? My debit card has a £300 daily limit through ATM's, but you can take out as much as you want with any other methods.
  3. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    You can't.

You can't buy something that is over your limit. This winter, I injured myself skiing and the hospital bill was x amount of dollars. I tried to pay with my debit but it was over my daily limit, so I couldn't pay. I was able to borrow someones visa though, so it all worked out.

If you could buy stuff that's over your limit, there would be no point to having a limit.
  4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    You should check with your bank.

From the way I understand it, the limit is a daily ATM withdrawal limit only. If you use it to make purchases with, the only limit to how much you can spend is what you have in the account.
  5. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Maybe it's different with different banks. With mine (TD) I can't buy anything over my limit.
  6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    You can also check with your bank for another reason. Sometimes they just need an authorization to raise the limit. The limit is in place, after all, to curb misuse, not to prevent you from spending the money. Call them and let them know how much you're spending.
  7. Gmac07 macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005

does the debit card have a visa on it? cuz then u can do credit instead and it would go through
  8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    That's not correct - that's why there is a difference between debit & credit. the Visa symbol just denotes where you can use it.
  9. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Gmac07 is right, you can run your debit card like a credit card. Using it in this manner also places your purchase under any buyer protection the Visa card company offers. However, it would be best to check with the bank before you do this.
  10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Oh man.. the lies! The lies! Make them stop!

I have only debit cards, and I have bought 2 powerbooks, 2 Apple cinema displays and 2 plasma Televisions all thru my debit card.

iSaint is correct.
  11. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    If it has a VISA sign on the front just select credit at the checkout.
  12. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    I placed a $9000 order in the Apple store using my debit/credit card, my daily POS is $5000 and my daily ATM limit is $500 (you can contact your bank and tell them to increase them both, they normally will do it and is no problem). To get around my $5000 dollar a day limit, I called Apple and had them charge it in two payments, $5000 the first day and $4000 the next, they were happy to do this as they are in business to make money and it just means two transactions instead of one. :)
  13. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    Yes you can buy "big-ticket" items with a debit card - providing you have the cash. That is not the same as having a credit card. If you haven't got the money then...
    Back on topic the original poster does not have to refill his debit card everyday to pay.
  14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    If your bank has weird spending limits on debit cards, you can instead pay by electronic check (but you have to complete the order by phone instead of on the Web).
  15. noelister macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    The end of January when the updated powerbooks went on sale i tried to buy with my debit card. However it would not let me. So i called my bank and they raised my daily limit just for that day. I could have raised it permantly but i decided to go with the daily in case it would get lost or stolen.

BTW - 5/3 is my bank
  16. Mood macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    you should get a credit card with a very low limit (like 200 dollars) and use it sparingly every month so you can establish good credit for mortgages, loans, etc.
  17. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    All of the people who are saying the following are correct:
    you CAN use your debit card(if it has a Visa logo on it) as a credit card at checkout and get around the daily spending limit. There IS a difference between using it as a credit or debit card.