PayPal Creates iOS SDK to Integrate Checkouts and Payments Directly in Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PayPal today introduced a new mobile SDK that allows iOS app developers to integrate PayPal checkout and mobile credit card payment mechanisms directly into their apps.

Currently, iOS developers can include PayPal payment buttons into their apps, but users are redirected to Safari to complete their transactions. Now, users will be able to pay without ever leaving the app, including using PayPal's card.io technology that allows users to pay with a credit card by taking a picture of it rather than manually entering the credit card number.

Apple does something similar in iTunes 11 with iTunes Gift Cards.
    PayPal promises more APIs and capabilities through the rest of 2013.

Article Link: PayPal Creates iOS SDK to Integrate Checkouts and Payments Directly in Apps

2. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I thought that was against Apple's policies? It was either iTunes or GTFO.

3. macrumors 6502

doesn't this conflict with in app purchases?

4. macrumors 601

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I bet we're going to learn that this involves a 3X% cut with 30% going to Apple and the other X% going to Paypal. This is just a guess but about the only way I see this flying in iOS transactions. Of course, what would be the motivation for a seller to cut in Paypal if they can just process through Apple for "only"(?) 30%?

5. macrumors 6502

starbird

It will be interesting to see where this is going... But then, would Apple not get 30% of only what Paypal is charging?

6. macrumors 6502

Rudy69

My guess is that any app that includes this SDK will be rejected

7. macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes that's probably will be the case. Otherwise apps can use Apple App Store as free distribution and keep profit for itself.

8. macrumors 68020

Diode

I think it depends on how it's used. For instance an e-commerce app should be able to offer paypal as a checkout method.

Or donation-ware apps could be created - IE donate to the developer if one finds the app useful. Lots of great mac apps gets developed this way.

9. macrumors regular

This would be great for selling real-world goods in an app. Kudos to Paypal for offering this.

10. macrumors 68030

If that was the case, apps like Amazon, Apple Store, eBay, Square, and Walmart wouldn't be allowed on the App Store.

11. macrumors 68000

Both of these are disallowed by the App Store guidelines.

1. You can't sell physical goods from within an application. Which is why Amazon kicks you out to their mobile page to check out.

2. Donationware is not permitted. No matter what method of payment there is.

12. macrumors regular

Does Apple object to not getting a cut or just selling in general? This policy is getting dated. Why not allow a consistent app experience for buying goods.

13. macrumors 68000

So with paypal taking 20% plus apple taking 30% the consumer gets bent over.

14. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

I like the idea, but as has been said, whether Apple will allow it is unknown. Apple has an inconsistent approval process. IMO, if a product/service uses Apple's services (like being delivered by Apple's servers), then Apple should get a cut. If Apple doesn't have to do anything with it, they don't get a cut. Like some in-app purchases for games where you buy more gold, weapons, etc., that doesn't need anything from Apple's servers. It just tells the developer's servers "Credit $X to user y's character." Why does Apple need a 30% cut for that? I understand Apple wanting to be a good company and maximize profits, but still.

15. macrumors newbie

how is it news ?

This is hardly serious news , because Paypal SDK for paying within APP (with native components not through webpage) has been present for at least year and many apps already use it :) Though it is nice if they finally merged their multiple options into single kit.

16. macrumors regular

Mr. Zorg

Very strange. I can't believe PayPal would bother if they didn't know it would be allowed...

17. macrumors 6502

Good luck with that on ios PayPal?

18. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Even Amazon removed it from its apps like Kindle and Audible ... Maybe Apple goes less restrictive on the policies recently without informing to loudly. Lets wait for the first apps trying it. I expect to see on main page soon reports talking about frustrated developer getting Apps rejected because of this PayPa API.

19. macrumors regular

You say this very authoritatively, but I have never seen any indication that it is true.

This is what Apple has to say on the subject:
    So, you cannot unlock features or functionality in your app without using the App Store. You cannot purchase content, functionality, or services IN YOUR APP without using IAP. And you can't use IAP to purchas physical goods or goods and services used outside the application.

Nowhere, as far as I can see, does it say that you cannot use your own payment system to purchase real-world goods and/or services from within an app.

20. macrumors 6502

Google is making inroads into iOS sacred samctity

21. macrumors 6502

What does this have to do with Google?

22. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

I'm very sure that the intention from Apple is: all money flows via their system. Thats in 11.1: mechanisms other then AppStore. Even if you are right and the lawyer from PayPal checked the wording: Apple will adjust soon the rules and explicit exclude that attempt to cut their cut.

23. macrumors newbie

This exactly. Apple won't allow you to use other payment systems for virtual goods (eBooks, unlocking 10 points in FarmVille, etc), you have to use IAP.
    On the other hand, I know from personal experience* that you must use other payment sources, such as taking card details yourself or using PayPal or other payment providers, to provide physical goods to the consumer. IAP is not allowed to be used in this case.

I find it odd that PayPal are saying this is brand new, yet according to the PayPal MPL (Mobile Payments Library, the previous name for this SDK) documentation, the first version of this SDK was available in Feb 2010. I know this is a "brand new" version, but to state it as if there was never a previous version seems odd.

* I am the developer of an app that allows people to upload their photos to us to be printed in our photo lab. The app has used the PayPal SDK for payments since the app's launch in Jan 2012.

24. macrumors regular

That's garbage, you absolutely can sell physical goods within an App that don't go through In-App-Purchase. I've done this with Amazon orders, movie tickets on Fandango, Gift Cards with Starbucks, and probably other things.

What you CAN'T do is sell digital content or unlocks within your app unless you use the In-App-Purchases system where Apple takes 30%

25. macrumors member

so did i. what gives? we were told we couldn't do this.