paypal -how trust worthy is it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Apr 2, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

I heard like last year there was some big scandle at paypal but i didn't really hear details about it. It seems to still be opperational, do any of you guys use/ trust it?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's owned by eBay... and we all know how trustworthy they are. :eek:

They've also been trampling on the rights of accountholders, and have been in the news about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/03/08/paypal.fined.ap/

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

E-bay is all well and good, though there are better means of money tranfere the paypal.

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I have never had any problem with it, but thats just me.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I only use it when there's no other payment method available. Paypal has been hacked at least twice; plus there have been cases where a payee's account has gotten cleaned out by a third party - which tells me their identity confirmation leaves something to be desired.

It is possible they've cleaned up their act in the last 6-12 months though. But I get the shivers when I talk to people who are using their checking accounts through Paypal.

6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

DON'T Leave any money in your account!!

If someone pays you, be sure to have it deposited in your bank account ASAP!

I had a buyer that decided that he wanted a refund from one of my auctions. Of course he never sent me back the laptop so I wasn't going to refund his money, but paypal took the money from my account anyways. It took me forever to finally get my money back!!!

7. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

My company does a lot of business via paypal, and we've never had a problem at all. Probably done over 1000 transactions in the last couple of years.

8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Paypal itself is pretty trust worthy. If something goes wrong i have heard horror stories of never getting your money back, but that goes back to the trustworthy seller. The HUGE problem with paypal is spoof emails. My grandmother is a 1000+ feedback on ebay and she gets atleast 2 spoofs a day trying to get her to update her password, give a credit card number, all kinds of things. Paypal works great in my opinion, you just have to remember payapl never asks for anything in an email.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Paypal charted new business territory and I'm not surprised there have been glitches along the way. Customer service may not be stellar, but problems are reportedly fairly rare, given the huge volume of transactions. It's a financial service that's very convenient but not without a slight risk of problems. I use it because the alternatives (not using an online payment system or using another service I know even less about) are no better, and I don't deal with huge sums so the small risk of a problem is acceptable to me. I've been lucky to have no problems at all.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I've had up to like $3000 in my paypal account and never have had any problems. The refund system leaves something to be desired but thats one of those rocky roads to cross. I use it just for ebay mostly ...

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    never had a problem with it. fast and certainly easier than getting a money order at the bank.