PayPal is an Affront to God and Humanity

Discussion in 'Community' started by ColoJohnBoy, Oct 8, 2003.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Ugh. Finally. For the past two months PayPal has been up my butt.

In March I sold my old iMac (Graphite SE) to this woman through eBay. Two months ago I get an e-mail from PayPal saying that the transaction is being disputed, and that I need to provide a tracking number or something along those lines to prove that I had sent it, otherwise they would initiate the chargeback process. Well, seeing as how five months had gone by without a problem, I'd thrown it away, so I had no way to prove I'd sent it. I sent a rather nasty e-mail to the woman I sold it to, and she responded all confusedly - she hadn't disputed anything. I called PayPal - they said they couldn't give me anymore information.

So now, after about 500 emails and phone calls between me, PayPal, eBay, this woman, her credit card company, and UPS, they've finally stopped the whole thing, but only after the chargeback had already been processed, and about a hundred dollars in fees had been charged to my account.

They really piss me off. Has anybody else had similar experiences?
  2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    Re: PayPal is an Affront to God and Humanity

You seem bitter...:eek: I wouldn't wish this on anyone...:(
  3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    thats why you always keep your reciepts, sorry to hear your loss.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    nope...never had a problem like that with ebay....
  5. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Dec 6, 2002
    Washington State University
    Certain controversial anti-abortion activists have had their accounts frozen by PayPal for "illegal activities", but evidence is inconclusive about the true facts of the matter.
  6. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, since I'm certainly not an anti-abortion activist, that isn't an issue. And yes, I should have kept the shipping receipt for the thing, but being the presumptuous, trusting dumbass that I am, I figured I was safe after five bloody months.
  7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Honnestly, once something like this happens, kill the credit card and make sure your bank is going to refuse deductions like this from paypal. They have had a small history of this and it's the best way to do it.

8. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    could that be because you're 15 and you can't have a paypal account until you're 18???

Anyway - if paypal is at fault, write them a letter saying that if you screw up (as in you, not them), they'd charge you money, so you're going to charge them money for screwing up! Works with banks - i've had a few £30 ($55) charges before when i mess up my finances, and when they mess up my account, i send them similar letters and generally they cough up!

Similarly, if your employer doesn't pay you on time and you get bank charges for bouncing payments, you can bill the charges to your employer quite legitimately.

to reiterate what iJon said - always keep reciepts! You never know when you might need them. 3 years is a good guideline
  9. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    That's what I do if I'm f**k'd over.... I use their standard fee for letters etc etc... then I add on my average hourly rate which is usually in the £70+ region for dealing with it and loss of earnings and I also bill them for phonecalls as well... all's fair in love and war.... ;) :D

Whatever you do ColoJohnBoy, don't pay that fee.... I'd take legal advice if they get funny with a refusal to pay....
  10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    there are tons of similar horror stories on the web-- i'd guess around 2-5% of paypal's customers experience something totally fraudulent like this. haven't been hit yet, but i'm urging my partner to abandon it before we do... they do waaay too much questionable stuff with absolutely no oversight.

paypal account = potential scam.