Paypal scam?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I recently received this from what it says is service@paypal - but I'm thinking its a scam.

I removed the link to the https site since it looks like a redirect. I also sent this to the paypal people. Anyone else get an email? (Oh, and it was to a different account than the one I have set up paypal with, so that further puts into question its authenticity).

D

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I would not believe anything that refers to PayPal or EBay with links in e-mail.

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I think that's the clincher - why wouldn't they send it to the account on file?
    But did you add that email address to PayPal?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Can you show us (or me) the raw source of the email (both header and body)? That'll tell you definitively whether it's bull or not. Naturally you can strip out any Mr. Anderson-identifying info. Chances are astronomically high that it's a phishing scam.

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I just got one of those yesterday. I don't even have a paypal account so I knew it was fake. Also, I noticed that they link in the email went to an ip address that didn't belong to paypal. I got a similar message from "ebay" last week.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I got a similar e-mail several months ago, and I wasn't even a PayPal customer so I knew it was a scam. They did the whole "IP hiding" thing or whatever where it looks like a legitimate address, but when I clicked on it for fun, it asked a ton of questions that I'm sure some people would fill out, like:

- SS#
    - DL#
    - Credit Card info
    - Bank account info
    - Mother's maiden name
    - etc.

I reported it to PayPal, but doubt anything was done as a result. It's amazing that some people probably fall for those scams.

7. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I get one of these every couple of weeks telling me I need to update my account info or email address and I don't use PayPal, definitely a scam. I saw a news release somewhere like 6 months ago saying to be aware of this info capture scam.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's a scam. I get these all the time. Curiously, I've never had an authentic e-mail from PayPal themselves... just from people trying to make me THINK they're PayPal.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Mr. Anderson, come on, you're smarter than that :)

you should always ignore communications that come via email from money-related sites. If a bank or Paypal wants you to know something, they'll mail it, or make you log in to their site first.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I never respond to emails like that. I only go through Pay-Pal via eBay or something else (like MacRumors or Missing Bite)...

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I got an email from "ebay" the other day telling me I had to re-update my account information or my account would be disabled. When I clicked on the link in the email, it brought to what looked like the official ebay website, except the address in the bar was someone's IP address. You have to be careful with these fishing scams, because some of them can be very convincing.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Funny, I just got such an eBay phishing scam about 30 seconds ago. Unfortunately, this email is base64 encoded, which makes it harder for the uninitiated to spot as a scam. You cannot look at the raw body of the email and clearly see that the website's IP address will take me to another non-ebay domain.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

again, none of the online banks in existence would notify members of virtually anything in this method. Don't worry about checking the email's encoding, or how real it looks, or trying to tell if it's a redirect... delete it. because it's scamspam.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL. Thanks for the tip.

I'd rather educate users on all the signs to look for in suspicious emails. Well armed users make better anti-spam warriors.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It would be pretty funny if Paypal or Citibank really ever did need online customers to update their account information. How would they let people know?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

They'd wait for you to log in to their site to get you to make changes, and/or they'd send you snail mail.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

there's a spot on paypal's site where they tell you things to look for in paypal fake emails.

same with ebay i think

i'm pretty sure that both of them will address you BY NAME. so "dear ebay/paypal customer" is a fake straight off the bat.

i used to receive paypal ones a lot. haven't gotten them too much lately.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You guys gave me straight answers, but I was thinking more of this:
    Dear Paypal customer,

We know that you get lots of fake e-mail asking you to update your personal information on our site thereby exposing it to identity and credit card thieves. Their excuse is usually that vague "processing changes" or a new billing system or an unfortunate loss of data is responsible, and that your account will be deactivated if you don't comply.

But this time it's really us... really. We promise. You can tell because this logo looks right:

[​IMG]

So pleeeeeeeeeease don't throw away this e-mail. Instead, follow this link https://www.ReallyItsPaypalHonest.ng/notphishing.htm and fill in your personal secrets. You'll be glad you did!

If you don't do this within 30 seconds, your Paypal account will be canceled and this message will self-destruct.​

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was more curious to see how widespread it was. I knew it wasn't kosher no matter what, but it still made me check that that email address wasn't attached to my paypal account. Its quite an annoyance, actually and its good to hear that its not just me.

And I did click on the link, just to see what would happen and it gave me a fake but real looking paypal page and wanted me to log in. That's how they get your account - you add your real email address and password and they use it later.....I was almost tempted to see what would have happened if I entered a bogus email and password, but I figured I'd done enough.

D

21. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Here's an example of a legimate e-mail from PayPal after you add an additional email address.