PayPal to block users with old browsers, warns against Safar...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by Piarco, Apr 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 68030

Piarco

I think I remember the folks at PayPal bemoaning Safari's apparent lack of security, but an active block due to the lack of Extended Validation SSL Certificates in Safari?

BBC Link

Is this going to force Apple to add them to Safari if this is the start of a trend?

2. macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Will I be the first person here to state that I think this is ridiculous?

I mean I do not need my browser address bar to glow neon green to know whether a site is none-phising or not! I would not even want my browser to do that really neither. Maybe that is just me?

I would consider myself to be web aware. It only takes 2 seconds to hover over the link and tell, and besides most of these emails have such bad grammar people can tell a mile off! LOL. The likes of my husband though, I would not even trust him with a PayPal account. He is the type of person to do that.

I think "blocking" is a bit of a harsh tactic. I mean think about it. You cannot use PayPal, you do not know why, then you accidentally come across a phising PayPal page. You then probably think that is real PayPal (because 'real' PayPal blocked you) and then enter your info. I can see that happening. Maybe all they need is a warning when logging in, similar to what you get when you have a resolution case open, stating that your browser is unsafe and linking to why.

3. macrumors 6502a

Maybe it'll push Apple to take action. Not only does Safari lack anti-phishing support, it also doesn't handle evssl-certificates. Safari isn't the number one browser when it comes to safety, while safery has always been one of the spearheads of Apple's campaign against Microsoft.

--Erwin

4. macrumors G3

Kilamite

I try to avoid PayPal as much as I can.

If they block Safari, that'll be a big customer base they'll be pissing off.

5. macrumors newbie

I don't know why PayPal are bothering that much - it doesn't ever seem to be PayPal that end up out of pocket but their innocent customers instead.

6. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Is Safari REALLY as unsafe as PayPal says?

If "Extended Validation SSL Certificates" are so great, then why doesn't Safari support them?

Does PayPal think that Firefox is a 'Safe" browser?

SL

7. macrumors 68040

Not that big a deal, you can download firefox, although Safari is much better imo.

8. macrumors member

EV SSL certificates are only as secure as the site using them. The EV SSL certificates can cause people to lower their guard as it's sounds like it's more secure and so they authorise things they would normally be wary of.

It's already been shown how a compromised site can display a valid EV SSL certificate while allowing cross-site scripts to be injected into a site.

Sourceforge was one of the EV SSL sites that had a flaw that allowed a cross-site script to be injected while still showing the green EV SSL approved address bar.

9. macrumors G3

clevin

1. I wouldn't make judgment until I see the fact that paypal does this
    2. Its a simple function, there is no reason to defending a position that's out of touch of the normal users, they need it, and thats end of story. You are well-informed enough that you don't need it? good for you. But you don't represent the majority of users
    3. Firefos IS a safe browser.

I don't get this, for this type of logic, cars make people not want to walk and be healthy; lifesaver might give users too much false security since it might has a small hole somewhere and sinks in the ocean.

Its just so unreasonable to focus on 1% of exception and ignore the 99% of benefits. Nothing is perfect, I would be first to admit that, but get real and be honest.

you can't be telling me that "anything apple doesn't use is bad or worthless"? aren't you?

10. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I use Firefox 2.0.0.14 for PayPal-related stuff; does this issue even affect me at all?

That said, I have to agree with cw2k7 here - EV SSL is an improvement, but certainly not a perfect solution.

11. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

No, it was a serious question. If there was a tone of sarcasm in there it wasn't intentional.

SL

12. macrumors G3

clevin

Sorry I might wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning....:(

if its not sarcastic question, then its a great question we all should be asking, why?

I understand there were codes within webkit that are related to anti-phishing, it was planned function for safari 3 and was canceled eventually.

I don't think there is any difficulty in implementing this at all.

Two possibility I can think of

1. Apple is not aware of the seriousness of phishing development in recent years and think its not of great importance

2. Apple has trouble dealing with Security check providers for various reasons.

But for whatever reason, I hope next safari will have this. Users sure should educate themselves to be on high guard, but phishing, is quite serious at times, and self-education sometimes might just not enough.

13. macrumors 6502a

I try to use PayPal as much as I can. Not because I think they are great (far from it), but because I hate to re-enter my credit card information for every on-line retailer I do business with. Plus, more importantly, I don't want to leave my sensitive credit card information all over the place. Only PayPal has it, and I feel much safer about that. Think about it.

If you don't buy on-line a lot, I guess you could live without PayPal. Most retailers have the possibility to provide them with your credit card info directly on their site. If that's safe depends on the retailer, of course.

--Erwin

14. macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

15. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Here's a third possibility I can think of:

Apple is aware of the seriousness of phishing and has no trouble dealing with the security check providers but realizes that the phishers are very clever and whatever methods Apple puts in to stop them, the phishers will try to find ways around them. This ends up becoming a never-ending, escalating "arms war". Instead, Apple is developing ways to educate their users as to the dangers of phishing and will provide such education in a future browser update.

'Course I'm just guessing, same as you. :)

16. macrumors G3

clevin

whatever, its fine you just want to argue, if you think that helps anybody, go for it. :)

17. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Who said I just want to argue? I don't. I thought I would just provide another possibility from a different perspective. I'm sure there are even more than just these three. And you must admit that your possibilities are just as much guesses as mine are, since neither of us works for the Webkit/Safari team.

18. macrumors G3

clevin

really? for a browser of 2-3% marketshare globally, what makes you think if apple implements an anti-phishing measure, phishing makers will give a *** ?

19. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

:confused: Huh? I'm not even sure how you came to this question based on what you were quoting. But I'll address it anyways:

Presumably because these anti-phishing measures will be the same as all the other 'safe' browsers are using, i.e. Extended Validation SSL Certificates. Remember that's what started this thread.

20. macrumors G3

clevin

well, you were the one saying that apple is afraid that if it adds anti-phishing measure to safari, phishing makers will get more "cleverer".:confused:

Im just asking, does apple adding "whatever methods" have any impact on phishing makers at all? with 2-3% market share?

PS. EV is not what started this thread, "anti-phishing" is, and anti-phishing != EV.

21. macrumors G5

gnasher729

It is. It is ridiculous because accessing PayPal with an unsafe browser is not unsafe. Accessing something that _looks_ like PayPal but isn't, that is the problem, and blocking an unsafe browser from the PayPal website doesn't stop this problem. The logic is: If PayPal is blocking your access, then you are at the PayPal site, and therefore there is no phishing happening right now.

Any criminals that managed to get your PayPal account details through whatever means will obviously use what PayPal calls a "safe" browser to empty your account.

22. macrumors G3

clevin

you are right!:eek: hehe,

But after the revelation that paypal is only blocking ancient browsers, this might not be anti-phishing related afterall, maybe just SSL, TLS related.

23. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Exactly. If the site you think is PayPal is blocking you, then it must be PayPal. See... no need for anti-phishing measures! :D

SL

24. macrumors G3

clevin

nonononono, anti-phishing measure is for, when you visit a site looks like paypal, but actually is not.

really, eventually normal users gonna need this, and if safari doesn't offer it, there are other browsers with total 97% of market share they can pick...

25. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But if those methods are the same methods that the other 97% of the browser market are using, then, yes, it does impact the phising makers.
    Um, let me quote the first post in this thread:
    And let me also quote the BBC article linked to in the first post:
    To me, EV is what started this thread.

And P.S. yes, now I just want to argue. :D