PB 1.25 -- 4500rpm or 5400rpm

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cru, Sep 26, 2003.

1. cru macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2003
    I just placed an order for a 15" 1.25 with 80GB stock drive.

Does anybody have any reliable info or specs on the difference in drives as far as battery length, etc..

I first had it ordered with the upgrade to 80bg/5400rpm but then switched because I figure the 4200rpm must give better battery life...then if I want a faster drive I can hook up a 7200rpm firewire when needed.

any comments regarding the drive choices are appreciated ..thanks.

Also, does anybody have a PB/Cinema display setup? Just wondering if having the display for home use is really necessary...or just use the PB solo.

coming soon***
    Powerbook 15" 1.25
    512MB x 2
    20" Cinema Display
  2. ryanthered macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Don't have any hard data since I'm not sure which drives they are using, but according to an article on Tom's Hardware comparing a 4200rpm Toshiba and a 5400rpm Seagate, the difference is about 10 minutes of battery life with sustained usage. Of course the 5400 is going to be faster as far as sustained data transfer goes, but they have slower seek times since they have to spin up to a higher speed. Probably the biggest factor will be heat...my 12-inch can get very warm near the hard drive, I can imagine how hot it might get with a faster drive.