PB 1.5 vs PB 1.67?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #1
    Looking at the PB 15 and trying to decide between the two speeds and whethor the extra $ is worth it - or could it be better spent on more RAM...

    I probably don't need the extra video RAM (use: office, web, java dev, some web dev w/ min. PS).
    While I don' think the "normal" desktop experience will differ much based on cpu speed, I *will* run Virtual PC and am thinking that extra .17Ghz may make an extra difference? doesn't seem like it though.

    I'll probably up the RAM to 1.5 gig - VPC should like that....

    Now dual core PB...that would be a different story LOL

    Any thoughts? You could save me almost $200
     
  2. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #2
    Here's a review by MacWorld:

    http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/reviews/powerbookg4rev/

    There's not too much difference in speed (1.5 vs 1.67). And more RAM is always better (1.5 g, nice! can you max out at 2?).

    I would also get the 128 VRAM upgrade. Can't upgrade on this in the future if you decide to work on photos, games, etc.
     
  3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #3
    Agreed - the difference is slight - but it's there. and my VPC app may need all the juice it can get....
    And there's no VRAM upgrade on the 1.5G model....
    also thinking about the 17 - but that starts to be big and lots of $
    Leaning towards the 1.67 100/64 for now....
     
  4. DaveinJapan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2005
    Location:
    Japan
    #4
    Eevee, I was at the Mac store and asked about the VRAM. The salesguy told me not to bother with 128 unless I was buying a big external moniter. Does the 128 really make a big difference with pics as well? It's not more to do with the graphics card? I use a lot of music software, which seems pretty graphics intensive. Are you saying that the 128 is better all around? How about for using Expose?
     
  5. Celsior macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    #5
    I'm thinking the same thing, maclamb. I'm planning on running professional business software that comes in Windows only. I've settled on VPC w/Win2000 because of its NT stability and M$ support without all the RAM requirements and other burdens XP brings. Right now I'm leaning on the 1.67 PB, because I'm thinking every bit of extra speed and power counts. I'm sooo tempted to up the VRAM to 128, so that I'd have the option to drive a 30" Cinema display (or any other future HD display) someday. I'm guessing that Tiger and my intended future use (video editing) may benefit from the 128 MB VRAM. To compensate for the extra cost of the faster CPU and more VRAM, I'm "downgrading" the optical drive to the combo. L8r on, I can add an external DVD or Blu-Ray burner. Now the decision comes to ordering the PB before 4/29, to get it quicker and possibly spend $9.95 for the Tiger upgrade, or waiting longer. If I do the latter, then I'm afraid I'll be tempted to order a new Power Mac instead! Good luck in your decision.
     
  6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #6
    Celsior,
    Yes, I can see dropping the Superdrive for now.
    Are you looking at 15 or 17"?
    I'm wrestling (pun intended) w/that decision.....

    I'm not driven to get the machine, it's actually a reward/impulse buy for me, so I *could* wait till after 4/29 -we'll see tho ;-)
     
  7. DaveinJapan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2005
    Location:
    Japan
    #7
    I'm still wondering just how significant the difference it between 1.5 and 1.67 though.

    Seems like, if you upgrade to the superdrive for a couple hundred bucks, you have virtually the same machine for $200 or so cheaper. Is the 1.67 REALLY worth that? Does anyone know of any tests between the two? Are we talking a difference of a second or two, or something more significant?
     
  8. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #8
    Look at the macworld article above and see the diffs- about 5%
    is that meaningful. I think that in day to day desktop mousing around - no, IMHO.
    But, for me, I may be using VPC and so want to squeeze all the cpu I can ... oh for a Dual Core....
    Intel announce done today - wonder if/when apple will
     
  9. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #9
    given my discount, the difference between 1.5 and 1.67 is about $120
    So, I have to decided if that extra 5% is worth the extra $ - I can max out the ram at 2 Gig w/that extra $120 - and VPC, which I will be using may really like the extra ram more than the 5% speed boost -
    It's all a mystery.....!
    Wish I could send the machine back w/in 14 days like Dell - w/ no penalty
     
  10. Celsior macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    #10
    Definitely the 15 incher. Of all the PBs, it's the best balance of size/portability and power/features. Since I'd use it primarily for work, my next Mac (I last used my ][si in 1997) ought to be a laptop. So for me, it's not an impulse buy. If I could get one strictly for personal use at home, then I would definitely wait for the next gen Power Mac. I would rather spend the extra $ on it now, rather than wonder (and possibly regret) for the next four years or so if I should have gone for the faster PB.
     
  11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #11
    It's not a big difference, but there is a difference in pics, photoshop, illustrator and games. It's $100 more if you can afford it. Also, you can't upgrade this mobile card in the future. So if you can afford it, do it. That's my 2 cents...
     
  12. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #12
    That extra speed won't be noticeable (based on the MacWorld results). However, your PB will perform better if you get more RAM (i.e. 1 gig or higher) when working with multiple applications at the same time.
     
  13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #13
    You can wait till the Back to School Sale to get your PB and an iPod and get $200 off. That's what I did.. :D

    If you have the $$, go for the 1.67. But if not, the 1.5 Ghz and maxed out RAM (or at least 1 gig RAM) is the way to go. This is also $$$.
     
  14. DaveinJapan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2005
    Location:
    Japan
    #14
    "If you have the $$, go for the 1.67. But if not, the 1.5 Ghz and maxed out RAM (or at least 1 gig RAM) is the way to go. This is also $$$."

    So, the 1.67 is definitely worth the $200 or so extra price? That noticable a speed difference? Are there any tests on the net that show the speed differences between equal machines, one a 1.5 and the other a 1.67?
     
  15. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #15
    Dont bother with 128 MB VRAM and .17 GHz.

    My dad worked fine on 16 MB VRAM TiBook and he liked it.

    And if you get those .17 extra GHz, will you return home earlier?
     
  16. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #16
    Actually I have an ipod and mini already, and my discount is the one time ADC hardware discount - 20% off list - So I'm looking at the 17" 1.67 w/ 100G HD for $2160

    Will I get home earlier - no - but for me it's not about where I go or when I get there - since there is nowhere to go and time is an illusion invented by the swiss to sell watches :p
    :I'm always "here" and it's always "now".

    Anyway, running VPC - that extra 10% cpu speed (difference of $120 in my case) may make for a smoother experience...
     

Share This Page