Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
I was just wondering if a PB 1.5Ghz could run Logic Express. I know my friend who makes music says he need all the power he can get, and is going to buy a dual G5, with more than 4 gigs ram and hook it up do his dual g4. I'm only worried that if i buy the pb 1.5ghz that it won't be fast enough. Should i go for the 1.67Ghz with the 128mb graphics card?

I just don't want to be dissapointed with what i buy! :(

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Sundance Kid said:
I was just wondering if a PB 1.5Ghz could run Logic Express. I know my friend who makes music says he need all the power he can get, and is going to buy a dual G5, with more than 4 gigs ram and hook it up do his dual g4. I'm only worried that if i buy the pb 1.5ghz that it won't be fast enough. Should i go for the 1.67Ghz with the 128mb graphics card?

I just don't want to be dissapointed with what i buy! :(

I use logic express on my 1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook, it has a 5400rpm hard drive like the 1.5/1.67 and a gig of RAM, it runs fine for me. As for a 128MB graphics card thats only really gonna help you if you have an external display attached.

Alex.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Well, they key to any answer is : Define "enough"

THe 1.5 / 64 Mb VRAM will certainly run your software, up to a certain level. The question is, are you going to demand 48 tracks with effects on each one and three dozen soft synths and samplers simultaneously? If so spend the money for a Dual G5. If your requirements are closer to reality the PB 1.5 will be enough. Get a good Firewire 800 external drive though, you'll want the extra space and backup ability.

I can't see 64 Mb vs 128 Mb VRAM making the slightest bit of difference in your audio apps. They are 2-D graphics, no texture mapping or "gaming" stuff and few if any visual effects.

ibilly

macrumors regular
May 2, 2003
Boulder
like a previous poster said, most likely, but...
It'll very likely be quite capable to handle multiple tracks, but to a limit. I don't know or use logic very at all, so this is postulation, but the new PB's are quite capable. RAM and quick HD's are ALWAYS performance boosters, and so the 5400 will defly help. As far as a laptop goes, I'm not sure you could do too much better. A dual G% like your buddy's will definately be able to though. Also, there is limited expandability on the PB''s. on the 15 and higher, you can add a PC card (?) for more input, but that's about it. On the G% tower, you could add several cards that let you have more higs speed input if so desired. This may be significant if you are creating wiht a band, or whatever. A USB keyboard or two is one thing, but with the number of ports availible, you can't have too much high speed input on a PB.

If you don't absolutely need the portability, I'd go with a G5. More input, power, RAM, and potential in the future. ALSO, importantly, you can add upto 15000 RPM drives and have multiple drives at much higher speeds than most firewire drives. Also, if you are using the FW as an input, you loose the potential for FW HDDs very quickly on a PB.

A PB is likely the best mobile, and teh G5 will almost 100% definately satisfy your audio needs for years.

the 1.67 is cheaper/Mhz if you don't add the superdrive, and 10% more proscessor is 10% more.

Per dollar (not sure at all) I think that you get a lot more power with the tower vs. the PB, even if you don't go for the 2.5

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
CanadaRAM said:
Well, they key to any answer is : Define "enough"

THe 1.5 / 64 Mb VRAM will certainly run your software, up to a certain level. The question is, are you going to demand 48 tracks with effects on each one and three dozen soft synths and samplers simultaneously? If so spend the money for a Dual G5. If your requirements are closer to reality the PB 1.5 will be enough. Get a good Firewire 800 external drive though, you'll want the extra space and backup ability.

I can't see 64 Mb vs 128 Mb VRAM making the slightest bit of difference in your audio apps. They are 2-D graphics, no texture mapping or "gaming" stuff and few if any visual effects.

Good point. I don't think i plan to do anything HUGE, so the pb might be good enough for me. The only reason why i mentioned the 128mb card is that i've heard that Tiger will use to a much larger extend the vram to help it go faster. Will this effect the Logic Express?

Also, could i hook up a tower to my pb for some more power? I know some music programs support that.

thx for the tips guys :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.