PB 1.67 and slow DVD burn speeds with Imation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spider, Nov 15, 2006.

1. spider macrumors newbie

Hi,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I just got a bunch of imation i-crystal DVD-R to back up some data. They are supposed to be 16X but it's taking close to half an hour to burn one disc! Usually I get Verbatim, and they take about 6-7 minutes to burn.

Disc info in Toast tells me that it can burn the Imation at 1x or 2x speed. I also checked my last blank Verbatim, and it says it can burn at 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x. Any ideas? Are these Imation discs just incompatible with superdrives or is Toast the problem? They burn without any errors, and the first two discs I just burned work perfectly, but I'm getting a little irritated by the amount of time this is all taking.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Some drives can be picky as to what brand of media is put in it to burn. It could also be a bad batch of blank CDs. They're massed produced in thousands, so a few are bound to be bad every once in a while.

I would say its just the media that the problem.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have the exact same problem. I have tried Sony DVD-R's as well as Fujifilm DVD-R's and theyre both really slow. I will try a higher quality media once my 100-Pack of Fuji's runs out :(

4. spider thread starter macrumors newbie

lamina, thanks for confirming this. I guess certain media just doesn't work well with superdrives. I've had a lot of luck with Verbatim if you want a recommendation, just decided to get the Imation because they were offering a good deal.

mklos, you're right, the discs are probably the problem, but I don't think I have a bad batch as they burn fine, just that the speed is not as advertised!:rolleyes:

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Check and make sure you have the latest SuperDrive firmware update from Apple. It was supposed to help with handling of 8x media.