pb 12 g4 rev d backlight bleeding on bottom?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by orijinal, Aug 14, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

i just noticed a lot of my images are really light towards the bottom of my screen, and even on some dark backgrounds i can notice there is a lot of bleeding.

2. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

Jeez, sorry to hear that man...cant really think of any reason off hand, but has that always been that way? Or did anything happen before this started?

3. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

i initially noticed it when i first fired it up... i thought it was just the angle i was looking at the screen.

it's just annoying how some things are darker as i move up, the colors don't seem true at the bottom... even kind of blurry.

i just bought it on the 7th however. some apple guy at the store said that if i'm still in my "2 weeks after purchase" they can just swap the powerbook for a new one from the back. after that it's "under warranty"

is this true? isn't there a restocking fee of some type?

if this is true... doesn't anyone know how to backup apple mail's mailboxes+emails? :p

4. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

I think the restocking fee only applies when you want to return it without any questions asked...but if it was a defect on apple's side, they have to repair/replace it for free during that first 15 days time...

5. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

the mail info is in your user folder library. not the system lybrary. there should be a mail folder with all your mail in them. make a copy and put that in your new user folder if you get a new machine.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/help/9/

6. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

i don't know if this would deem worthy of a switch though. there are some other quirks like the right side of the trackpad button being raised more than the left side, and the left side of the top of the PB not sitting flush when closed... arg and the fan is on all the time.

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

My 12 inch PowerBook has this issue but it's rather minor on mine. There is a slight lighness on the two lower corners of the screen about 1/2 inch or so, but it's not noticable unless the colors are very dark or black. It doesn't bother me. If you're getting some blurring at the bottom then you may have an issue that will require sending it back.

8. bjoern_kah macrumors newbie

i just received my ibook. the quality of the screen is really bad. it's dark and the backlight bleeding reaches nearly 2 centimeters from the botton. that's alot on a 12" display. its screen colors and brightness is on the level as my old pismo powerbook. some people in the forums wrote that the screen got better compared to the last revision. i thinks thats not true.

i know it's a cheap notebook and it's really beatiful. but it's annoying that apple saves some euros and puts in such a bad display. so i will send it back and will not switch back from my linux dell. hopefully the mactels will be better next year.

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I am using a 15" powerbook right now and it has dark areas on both the lower right and lower left part of the screen. I have seen some that have this problem and others that dont so I'm not really sure what makes that happen. Also, as I have stated before, the upper left on this model is a little darker than the upper right. I have seen this in almost all 15" powerbooks I have used recently. Strange...

10. efoto macrumors 68030

I just recently started noticing a darker section, just left of middle on the bottom, protruding roughly 2 cm up and roughly 2 cm wide at the widest point. Of course now that I noticed I cannot seem to get over it, especially when browsing in Safari and posting on MR, where the background is mostly light in color and this dark section sits there in the lower center.

Does anyone know if this is warrantable or are they going to tell me to screw myself and live with it??