Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Crucial just dropped the price of the 1gb memory stick to $295.99, and I wonder just how much lower some of you all think that it will go?

This price represents a drop of almost 40% since November when i first got my PB 12". So far I am doing Ok with the "free" 256mb module that I got when I did the PB. I can see where i can get a bit better performance with a total of 1.2gb memory.

The issue for me is that if i wait till June and the price falls another 40%, I can get my employer to pony up for the upgrade. Otherwise i am on my own.

I am turning you all Mac wizards ones here for your experiences on memory prices.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Crucial has had some problems with their 1 GB module and 12" PBs. Check some of the apple support forums on this. I had to return mine and get a 512 module instead. This probably also explains why 1 GB modules from other places are still so expensive... I remember reading on the support pages that some people have had luck with Samsung modules, but I can't confirm.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by telecomm
Crucial has had some problems with their 1 GB module and 12" PBs. Check some of the apple support forums on this. I had to return mine and get a 512 module instead. This probably also explains why 1 GB modules from other places are still so expensive... I remember reading on the support pages that some people have had luck with Samsung modules, but I can't confirm.

But I thought Apple OEM'd from Crucial....

Could you also provide some links?

Thanks

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Here's one

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@60.yFLOaa2Xdxj.8@.688d5d0c

There was another useful link that I can't find, that had noted the tech support department at Crucial had acknowledged a problem with certain 12" PBs, and that they were working on it.

I know Crucial has a good rep, and maybe this problem has been addressed, but I did have to return mine (purchased late January).

My 512 module from Crucial has worked flawlessly, and I got one for my girlfriend too that hasn't caused any problems. Also, the 256 MB module that I had apple install when I bought my PB (giving my 512 in total) was from Crucial (it's all Micron RAM, the "M" with a circle around it). I heard somewhere that apple uses Samsung for the 1 GB modules though.

Good luck with your RAM hunting!

Edit: found that other link:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/P...USB \ FireWire \ RAM/76?50@60.yFLOaa2Xdxj.12@

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
here's 1 for $335

Micron 1gb pc2100 so-dimm for $335 at http://www.ld-technology.com/one_prod.php?pid=021601 They said "compatibility guaranteed" and listed the iBook. worth a shot, i'm gonna wait till the end of the year and see if they go down.. they are still a low demand chip especially with Toshiba and HP marketing these gargantuan 17" books and of course the PB 17" and 15". The ibook and powerbook's small form and low share amongst active users make this ram so damn expensive. argh. :(

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
adamjay said:
They said "compatibility guaranteed" and listed the iBook.

It's probably telling, though, that they didn't list the powerbooks. Notice that all other compatibilities are listed by company, rather than model, except in the case of apple. Crucial sells Micron RAM, so if it doesn't work from Crucial, it's not going to work from other sellers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.