1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

PB 12 or wait for 970?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by austincpy, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. macrumors member

    ok, here it goes: i'm considering buying a 12" pb for casual writing, music, and some video editing (typically dv). right now i have a 8600 with a G3 450 in it, and want to know if i should go ahead and buy a 12" pb, and sell it mid year to get a 970 pm, or just buy a 17" pb and wait until they go 970, if apple goes 970. If ya get it, appluase! Thanks for your suggestions!
  2. macrumors 6502

    It sounds like you were considering a portable any way. I'd say get the 17" now. It's powerful enough to rival a PM and the screen is big enough to enjoy movies/edit video. And it is technically a portible. Sounds perfect to me.970s aren't supposed to come out until mid-lte 3rd quarter in PM. That would mean that they probably wouldn't come out in AluBooks until MWSF 2004, I'm guessing. Either way it is a long time to wait.
  3. macrumors member

    thanks cursor, and i think you're right. But, i'm still open to any other ideas, this is a big decision. oh, does anyone know if the hard drives in pb are fast enough to capture and edit dv in FPC?
  4. macrumors member

    Powerbooks are fine for capturing and editing DV video. I do it all the time.

  5. macrumors member

    does anyone else have any ideas? thanks
  6. macrumors newbie

    i think i'm going to hold out until the put the 970 into the 15" powerbook. I use mostly photoshop on my computer and running photoshop in 10.2.3 on my PM 867 is unbearable. Even if the 970 is a long way off, it gives apple more time to work all the new kinks out of the new AluPowerbooks that we dont know about yet.
  7. macrumors 65816


    If you're really in the market for a portable (the 12" and 17" are the two worth considering), don't wait for the 970. Apple will most likely phase it in, starting with the Powermacs and the Xserve.

Share This Page