PB 12" Rev A vs. Rev C

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Trekkie, May 18, 2004.

1. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

If I was debating updating to the PowerBook G4 12" Rev C and I have a Rev A what differences would I enjoy besides 467 additional MHz?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

VGA vs. mini-DVI
    USB vs. USB2
    better video card
    higher RAM capacity
    faster Superdrive
    heat issue better addressed
    built-in airport extreme card
    larger L2 cache
    bigger/faster HD (options included)
    faster bus (i think? not 100% sure)

i think that just about covers the differences...

i also have the rev. A 12". i don't see the need to the upgrade. i think i'll use the 12" until it's obsolete and buy a G5 PB then. ;)

3. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

And the screen has been improved - its now very bright!

And there is a cheap 80GB 5400rpm hard drive option.

Cosmetically, the screen is thinner (but still rigid) and the computer bit is thicker (though in total still the same size).

The system bus is 25% faster too.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

The new rev C's are very bright, get better battery life and don't get anywhere near as hot as the orginal ones. If you can afford the upgrade and not notice a dent in your pocket, it might be worht doing. I personally could never do that and plan on using this one until they get twice as fast to three times as fast (aka 2.5 to 3Ghz laptops atleast). It all depends on if subtle improvements are worth the money to you.

BEN

5. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I didnt' buy the applecare upgrade prior to the warranty running out, so I was just a bit worried it might break soon.

Can you get the applecare warranty upgrade after the warranty ends? Mine ended 3/15/04.

Oh well. Might get a new HDD for it instead.

What I really want is a G5 20" iMac to replace my 15" 800MHz iMac.

6. msp2 macrumors newbie

what does rev A or rev c mean?

Hi there, a newbie here... Just wondering what you mean by rev A PB's?

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

no.

8. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

I've had a Revision A 12" PowerBook since June 2003 and I've become extremely frustrated with how slow it is when FileVault is enabled, even with 640 MBytes of RAM.

Therefore I have decided to upgrade to a 15" PowerBook with 1 GByte of RAM and 1.5 GHz processor. That said, I will most likely be keeping this powerbook as a "personal machine" and for the purposes of backup in case the new one has any problems. The 12" Rev. A, while not perfect, is a perfectly decent machine for those who need to run the usual "productivity applications" and lower-end iLife multimedia applications (iTunes, iPhoto 4).

Unfortunately, since I work abroad, my laptop is my only and main machine, so it is quite simply too slow for lots of tasks.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

revA 12" shouldn't be too slow, you must have badly fragmented hard drive? it's too slow only when using protools or final cut pro (or such pro apps).

10. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

any time the specs are updated, we call it the new revision. ('rev')

rev. A is the first 12" PB released in jan. 2003. 867 MHz.
    rev. B is the one released back in sept. 2003. (i think.) 1 GHz with mini-DVI.
    rev. C is the latest one released in jan. this is the currently available one at the store.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, pretty much.

And about File Vault. I don't think it makes a heap of difference in terms of performance. Yes, I can notice the difference, but its not that bad for most tasks. The only annoyance I have is that when I try to forward from the beginning to the middle of a song in iTunes by clicking on the progress bar at the top, it takes a quarter second to forward to that bit of the song. It used to be instantaneous. That's my only annoyance with it.

Oh, and my rev B (ie: The 2nd version of the 12" PB Apple has released) isn't that much faster than the rev A. Also, I only have 512 MB of RAM.

Going from rev A to rev C would only be worth it if the screen is honestly not bright enough for you, and if you need better battery life. And even if you needed the latter, getting one of the new 12" PB batteries is just as good. I already get 3 to 3.5 hours of life out of my rev B under normal conditions (ie: screen brightness set 4 notches down from full -- my normal setting anyway, and processor set to Automatic). If you need more, just get a new battery and get 4 to 4.5 hours. It may be worth the $150 to you.

13. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i love my rev A.

apple.com has refurbished Rev A's for $999. refurbished Rev B's for $1199. and of course new Rev C's for $1599. since each Revision adds many features/specs, get the one that best fits your budget.

They are all worth their relative prices.

14. DGFan macrumors 6502a

How about the fact that the Rev C won't burn your hand??? That's got to be important too!