pb 12 rev. b users: need opinion about owc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ted94709, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ted94709 macrumors newbie

May 18, 2004
    hi, ive recently decided to upgrade ram and have been considering other world computing's branded 1 gig stick. ive poked around past threads and have found mixed reviews. a majority said it worked perfectly, while a rather substantial group said that owc ram has problems working correctly in rev b 12" powerbooks, giving kernel panics, crashed programs, and other fun things.

i want to hear the opinion of people here that have a 12 incher and have experience with owc 1 gig sticks of memory. (pc2100)

also, ive noticed that the 512 and 256 sticks are labeled lowprofile, while the 1gb is not. will this pose any problems fitting into the ram slot?

thanks in advance.
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Isn't all SO-DIMM RAM low-profile? Dunno the answer to that one myself.

Anyway, I'm not too sure about OWC RAM leading to kernel panics and such, but I haven't heard of such a problem. They have a great warranty (lifetime?), so I wouldn't worry about reliability. You can just return it and get another.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, there's another brand for $30 more than the 1GB stick offered by OWC. I don't know if you know anything about that company, but maybe you could look up any reviews on that company instead.
  3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Actually it's not. There are a select few desktop systems that use SODIMMs. Most are based off of Via's ITX form factor, but it's not unheard of. I bought an SODIMM that was way to big to fit in my iBook.

Anywho... regarding OWC, i have a 512mb stick in my iBook right now. I'm not sure why you just don't check out the website to make sure it fits. their site divides up their memory modules by Apple products. And then assuming it fits, their warranty is great!

4. ted94709 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2004
    thanks for the replies, ill consider what you said. and i have also looked thoroughly through owc's website, its just ive read quite a few threads where users complained that ram that owc states is compatable with the pb 12 actually was not, i just wanted actual user opinions.

thanks again!