PB 12" suitable for desktop machine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by toezter, Jul 18, 2004.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

i'm considering of retiering my p3 500 (which isn't doing any good anymore oc'd or with its SDRAM), and just using either my dell or the future PB i plan on getting.

i believe i can still use my existing monitor (hitachi LCD) since my friend owns an ibook and is able to use it. i would be using the DVI for the PB, and analog for the dell, easily switchable between the two from the monitors menu.

question, how can i prevent the PB from warping due to the heat? will it be able enough if i where to use this machine constantly (usage at school, then at desk at home)?

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

So you read one of those horror stories, eh? :rolleyes: Your PB will not warp, ok? It may get a little warm, but that's the way it was designed to get rid of heat. I've had my 12" PB for several months and can say that it really doesn't get too hot for comfort.

You'll be fine :).

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

P.S. - Consider buying AppleCare. It might come in useful if you're planning on moving it around a bit.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It won't warp. I don't know where you heard that. It doesn't get to the point where the aluminum starts to melt from intense heat. It doesn't get that hot. It will get a little toasty but nothing that will make your machine melt.

4. daxdagr8t macrumors member

the pb does get warm at times but not like burning hot.upgrade the ram and you wil be all set.

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

6. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

As long as you aren't doing anything crazy on it, it'll be fine for a desktop replacement. If you want to do high-powered video editing/games, then of course the G5 would be what you need.

All I know is that the 12" 1.33 destroys my old iBook 800 G3 in every way.

MP

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you can plug a mouse and keyboard in and run it closed or run it open i believe you can mirror or even span the screens

8. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

i don't mind the heat, my dell does get warm, and i understand the g4's power, so heat doesn't bother me. if most people haven't come accross the warpage, cool, i hope i don't.

as for desktop replacement, i DO plan on getting more ram, and perhaps a faster HD. i'll just use it for occasional PS, and occasional videogames.

thanks for the short responces. i guess my p3 will be retiering soon.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Sometimes the 12" does warp. I haven't heard much warping on the rev c's. The rev a had the main of the problem and rev b has the chance of warping. Here are some pics of mine(mine is a rev b). You shouldn't get any worse then mine.

http://couchpotato.no-ip.com/fs/Batista=JU3883/DSC00109.jpg

http://couchpotato.no-ip.com/fs/cgi/cp_album.pl?user=Batista&id=JU3883&nu=432021&ci=DSC00111.jpg

10. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Oh, good.

I am about to buy a 15inch PowerBook, so is you can call the 12inch the smallest desktop you have ever owned, my PowerBook should smoke my PowerMac.

Thanks

Paxton

11. BeoVir macrumors member

Hold on, I can't see anything wrong with yours! Can you point out the warping please?

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It is minimal. Can't you see the space near the latch button?

13. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

i can see the warping, but thats only because someone pointed out the latches.

thats not too bad, and if you say the revC is lesser of the revB, i'm fine with that.