PB 12" Terrible Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by MikeLaRiviere, Aug 5, 2004.

1. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

Does anyone else have a terrible gaming experience using the PowerBook 12", 1.33 GHz G4, 768 MB RAM, 64 MB GeForceFX 5200? I am surprised at how poorly UT2004 runs; frame rate seems to be in the teens, if that. Command and Conquer Generals is also horrible; that one is not playable. SimCity 4 does not run very well either, but it is not as bad. Granted, UT2k4 and C&C were demos, but I installed the required patches, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I'd like to play America's Army on here, but I don't know if I should even bother. The only game that seems to work well is Age of Mythology.

Is anyone else having this poor performance with the PB 12", or is there something wrong with mine?

Mike LaRiviere

2. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

I used my PB 12" at a LAN a few weeks ago, we played WCIII (max gfx settings) and CoD (1024x768 high detail, trilinear filtering) no sweat. UT2k4 really needs to be full version (so I hear) otherwise performance is abysmal (in onslaught, at least). I'm assuming you have the slower, 4200 RPM 60 gig HD. I have heard that makes things a little faster, but I have not seen a PB with a 60 gig vs an 80, so I couldn't tell you if the 5400 rpm 80 gig really helps or not. The only thing ive got on you is 1.25 gigs of ram vs 768 megs. That really shouldn't make too much difference. I think you just need to try the full versions of the games, it really helps. Also, the 10.3.5 update should come with new drivers and better openGL support, so if we're luck, we'll see better gaming performance on our PBs. Keep your fingers crossed!

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I'm gonna say this again... since I only mentioned it in one or two other threads.

If you plan on having a good gaming experience on a Powerbook, you're insane... that or, well... you get the idea.

Powerbooks never have, nor ever will be good gaming machines.

Check out barefeats for their benchmarks. Even they say there, if you want to 3D game, GET A DESKTOP.

On my G5 with the Rad9800, I can run War3 at 1280x1024 32-bit high detail with 6x FSAA and 8x AF without a hitch.

I'm lucky to run it at 30 FPS on my PB with 32-bit medium quality 1024x768.

Never buy a Powerbook if your intent is to game... it's just plain stupid.

4. rareflares macrumors regular

the video card drivers for your nVidia 5200 64 MB that came with the 10.3.4 update are EVIL. for most people, the games were running well under 10.3.3 but something terrible happens under 10.3.4 (this is only happening to people with the current 12" powerbook). Blizzard reported this bug to Apple because it ruined the WoW beta testing for 12" Powerbook users. Apple has yet to fix this problem but I'm expecting 10.3.5 to be released within the next month (the dual 2.5 G5's are shipping with that installed) so that could rectify the situation.

On top of THAT, there's a sound bug in the UT2004 demo that basically cripples single-processor Macs (ie Powerbooks, iMacs, etc.). The demo patch does not fix this sound bug.

The full retail version, however, is perfectly fine and bug-free.

Try turning the sound off in the UT2004 demo and you'll see vastly improved framerates.

5. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

How much better was the gaming between 10.3.3 and 10.3.4? Also, is apple notorious for axing a driver and then fixing it? I never gamed on my PB under 10.3.3 because I upgraded to 10.3.4 right when I bought it... Do you think the new drivers in 10.3.5 will be at the level of 10.3.3, below it, or above it?

6. rareflares macrumors regular

well, i doubt it could get any worse than it is right now. Apple usually only updates the video drivers with OS udpates so I expect them to fix this problem. Any less would be pretty disappointing.

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

The UT2004 demo is unplayable because of a sound bug, search these forums to find the fix.

10.3.5's drivers are better as of 7M30.

AppleMatt

8. shortyjj macrumors regular

Honestly, I don't think NWN runs much better on my new 12" PB (768M, slower HD) than on my old 700MHz iBook with a 16meg video card; needless to say I wouldn't even think of buying any newer games.

9. MikeLaRiviere thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to hear it's just a software problem. I looked on nVidia.com for new drivers... would Mac's drivers fall under FreeBSD, or does Apple take care of the drivers separately?

Mike LaRiviere

10. sebaz macrumors member

Apple take care of the drivers in their 10.3.x releases

11. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I'm already using a developer's version of 10.3.5, and I can tell you that it is a significant improvement over 10.3.3 (I never installed 10.3.4) in terms of OpenGL benchmarks and FPS framerates. So you should be allright in the near future.

Dual 1.8, 6 GB, 160HD, Nvidia 5200, power cord

12. bluemoon macrumors member

eeks... i seriously need to get this clear b4 i buy my mac... i will be playing wc3 and diablo2 on my laptop when i am free... not too sure it will be the 1 ghz 12" ibook or the 1.33 ghz 12 " pb.. but is gaming really tat bad that it can't even support these games? will the 1.33 ghz 15" pb support? and and... is it possible to play on battlenet? sorry for the questions... me am a potential switcher from pc...

13. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

bluemoon,
    You'll be fine. I've played networked WCIII no sweat. Battle.net connects no problem. Diablo II will be fine as well, as it is an older game.

14. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

With a 1.33 PowerBook you'll be able to run WCIII at maximum graphics options no problem.

AppleMatt

15. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I play C&C: Generals on 1.33GHz 15" PowerBook silky smooth...

16. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Exactly how smooth is "silky smooth"? Most Mac games that I've ever played on laptops tend to be chuggy (for me) even with a more powerful machine. I highly doubt he'll be able to play WC3 on the highest settings with 60 FPS when the screen fills up with massive amounts of crap in all those UMS games... I kinda wish Mac portability was better...