PB 12" to buy... should I opt for the 80GB Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wuthoqquan, May 22, 2004.

1. Wuthoqquan macrumors newbie

May 22, 2004
    Hi everybody,

I'm going to finalize very soon the purchase of a new PowerBook 12" (Rev C).
    I already ordered a third party 512MB SoDimm (PC2700/333Mhz)

My only concern is about the HD that Apple provides by default with this PowerBook. It's a 60 GB at 4200rpm. However, at the time of the order, the customer can choose to have his unit delivered with a 80GB/5400rpm HD for an additional expenditure of 180 euros...

My questions are as follows:
    Would this HD possibly increase the heat generated by the laptop?
    Also... would the battery life be affected by the higher performance of this HD model so that the charge will last less than with an ordinary 4200rpm HD?

If you believe that this enhanced HD is not going to increase considerably the performance of the PowerBook, I would not go ahead with this upgrade in order to avoid anyone of the two issues above.

Could anyone of you also be so kind to give me an idea if he perceives the normal 60GB/4200rpm HardDisk as an actual bottleneck in the PowerBook?

Many thanks to all in advance!
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    first of all get teh 80 gb

you will find you need the space soon enough
    the performance of a 5400 4200 is not that considerable; but noticable; depending on what your doing

i dont think the battery performance will suffer that much; unlike a 7200 which supposedly drains faster toms hardware guide (check it out online)
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I think I saw somewhere (barefeats.com?) that the 12" PB had the same battery life with those two hard drives.
  4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    I would go for the 80 Gb drive, the extra space is useful, particularly if you are going to use iMovie, or Final Cut. Most people that I have seen comment on the issue before have stated that the extra speed is worthwhile for the cost and does not affect battery life.
  5. Wuthoqquan thread starter macrumors newbie

May 22, 2004
    It's incredible to see that in the US this option requires only fifty additional bucks... the equivalent of 43 euros! Even if we add the VAT, we are at about 52 euros!!! Well below the astronomical sum of 180 euros requested by Apple here in europe... :eek: Just this simple consideration is convincing me to drop the idea of the faster and larger HD, and to remain happy and satisfied with the standard 12" PowerBook!
    Anyway, the additional 512 MB memory should help reducing the access to the disk. At least, this is what I can only say after having realized the huge difference of price I was going to pay for this option.
    Quite amazing... and disappointing also!!! :mad:
  6. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    I wouldn't pay 180 euros to upgrade. Save the money and buy and external Hard drive.