Pb 12" ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Flavius, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Flavius macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2003
    I want a laptop.
    I want plenty of battery life.
    I want something small (12") and light to take to class and take notes.
    I want it with bluetooth and wireless network card thingie.
    I want a so-so graphics card so I can play quake3 and so-so games.
    I want it to be silent.

I want to spend as least as possible.

My major is Computer Science, which is why I need something to compile stuff on, not just take notes.

Im a winxp user, and dont think I'll have any trouble adapting to OS X.

Is a PB 12" 1Ghz my best choice ?
  2. Versello macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    YOU NOOB!!! BWAHAHA.... ahaha....ha..... :/

The 12" PB can do all of those. You should know better Flavius :p

(except spend as least as possible...)
  3. Flavius thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2003
    sup fag!

I was reading the comparison "Thinkpad T41p vs 15" PB" and It left me thinking whether to get it or not. Then I looked at the prices and was like woah! :eek: woah!

The 12" PB looks cute and sexy :D

U reckon it plays Q3 .. and maybe Half-Life ? (I heard stories of porting HL to unix .. might be able with OS X ?)
  4. Versello macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003

Thinkpads are buttugly. Shame on you.

It definately plays Quake 3 well.
  5. Flavius thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2003
    yeah but but but but ... thinkpads win on battery life (or so I heard) and are lighter!

althought PB is sex on the rocks!
  6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think you'll be very happy with the 12" PB. I've had mine for over a month now, and I absolutely love it.
  7. Flavius thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2003
    another thing bugging me.

Im in europe.

that doesnt bug me as such, but I want to know stuff about the portability of the powerbook if I buy it in the states (cheaper and I can get people to get it for me):

- Power coord: Will I have to buy a new adapter once it gets here? Or is there a simple '110-240'v switch?
    - DVD-ROM: Is it possible to order it directly on Region 2? Or will I have to lose one point outta 5?
  8. Versello macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    The AC adapter is dual voltage. You can either buy a new plug (the AC adapter has interchangable plugs) or you can just buy a prong convertor.
  9. Flavius thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2003
    Does anyone have any experience with other smaller (<15") laptops ?

I've been looking at the Travelmate from Acer, and the Toshiba Portégé and they look quite ok aswell for small laptops. Maybe the lack of a proper graphics card is still pushing me to the 12".

How well would a 12" run games? say Warcraft 3 in 1024*768 with medium details ? Is it possible to watch big wars or does it simply slow down?

Will adding more RAM to it increase the gaming performance, or is it deeply attached to the 32Mb it has.
  10. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    Adding more system ram will help. It is however, DEEPLY attached (as in solder to the board) to the 32mb vram. Mine will run warcraft3 just fine at medium details, but games like unreal2003 dont really go well at all, nascar2003 doesnt play very well either. Of course mine is the older one, maybe the newer ones made a big step forward.
  11. sahnert macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    I have a rev.a 12" PB 867 G4 640 MB RAM.
    Does fine with Warcraft 3. And I was using the trackpad no less! Get a mouse for that one though. I'm not a hardcore gamer, just borrowed the game for a couple of weeks. But I thought it was fine. The rev.b's should have no problem.
  12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    12" PB 1 Ghz, 768 RAM. Runs War 3 at 1024*768 with med - high detail perfectly.
  13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Don't worry about the DVD drive. The first time you use it, it'll ask you what region you want to set it for, and will allow you to change it so many times (I don't remember exactly) from region to region. There are also firmware hacks you can download to set your drive as "Region-Free" but I'm not sure how reliable they are.
  14. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    my rev.b 12" 1GHz, 768MB RAM is a DREAM to use. it runs Warcraft 3 and UT2K3 just fine (but not Army Operations for some reason since it uses the 2K3 engine, go figure!) But yeah, I love this little thing to death!
  15. mattroberts macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2003
    My PB 12.1 inch is the best laptop i have ever used. I have had thinkpads and Dells paid for when i worked (back at school now). It plays every game i want and witht the recent 10.3.1 updat my video seems to have improved (anyone else had this.) Buy one you'll be happy! or wait 3 months and get one with 64mb of ram the only downside on my rev b is the video ram. i figure apple will fix this to differentiate between the ibook and pb line.

16. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR
    1Ghz 256 megs of Ram (well, soon to go 768 to see The Change)
    Plays UT2K3. It's slow, but playable (25 fps for sure) at 1024x768 mid details.

And it's X 10.3.2

It's not that great, though, for DV, uncompressed movies I made on PB G4 Titanium 800 loose frames, sound hiccups. Looks like HD is no champion.

Silent? Well, for the most part, yes.

And pretty. My Minime.
  17. Flavius thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2003
    so you say the next revision of 12" powerbooks will be an increase in video ram ?

I would love to see that
  18. mattroberts macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2003
    i don't exactly say ...... but i predict ;)

The Video ram is a huge problem on the 12in and quite honestly the reasons for owning a PB over an Ibook are not as compelling as they could be (at the 12in level) I would expect that the one thing we can definetly expect to see is an improvement in the woefully small amount of video ram.

That said Apple doesn't as yet listen to Every criticism i have :D

cheers and merry xmas