PB 128MB VRAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jdechko, Jul 1, 2004.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

has anyone else noticed that the option to upgrade the VRAM has gone up from $50 to $100 (USD)?

that stinks....

2. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Wow thanks for letting us know.Yeah it stinks.Yesterday i was configuring a powerbook and i was thinking well its 50 bucks so ill buy it.Now i have my doubts.Apple keeps raising there prices so im not switching until they reach out to us poor folk.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

What the hell?!? That is really irritating. Maybe demand was astronomically high... which I could understand for doubling VRAM to 128. Still stinks.

4. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

5400 as well

yeah, and it seems like the upgrade to a 80GB 5400 HD was bumped to $150

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

While I realize that Apples are not a cheap purchase for any of us, and they really aren't intended to be, there is really no good excuse for the upgraded graphics and hard drives to not be standard in the powerbooks. They are powerbooks, and when we buy them, we pay accordingly. These features need to be made standard. Just my two cents.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Those upgrades in the 17" haven't been affected. They only apply to the 15". Still sucks. :(

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Actually - the price jump varies across all models. The two 15" models have different prices for upgrading the HD. The combo costs $125 - the superdrive model cost $50 to upgrade. Weird - the parts should be the same price. The same discrepancies across all model lines.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It could be supply chain economics. They may be trying to make the PB 17" slightly more attractive. Slow down demand on the 15" for some reason.

9. OziMac macrumors 6502

That is VERY weird. Still only AUD 76 in Australia for both.

Also, Airport Extreme Card and Basestation prices dived recently...

10. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

oh, yeah, i see that now

11. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Wow. That is not good news. Not that I'm in the market for another PB, but I was happy to know that Apple was actually not opening our wallets on an upgrade. I guess they cought on... :( .

JOD8FY

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And add to that they raise the price at the time they can't prodce either the G4 iMac or the G5 iMac :eek:

13. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Whew! Glad I ordered on Monday night -- what a screwjob jacking the prices that much. $100 for another 64MB of VRAM is pretty excessive, but is inline with the rest of their (normal) RAM prices :eek:

14. yakisoba macrumors member

It's killin' me! I've been drooling over the 15" PB for the last couple of months, and I finally decided, "Okay, this payday (i.e., Friday) I'm going to pull the trigger and get one." And of course, the day before I order, they raise the price..... sheesh....

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well COB Friday and no change to Australia pricing on vram or hdd upgrdaes. Must just be US market. I think they might be low on stock for them or possibly the retooling is more expensve than they predicted so they are hitting the largest market with the lowest margins.