PB 15" 1.25 - Anyone in Australia got one yet?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by weev, Oct 2, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

weev

Hi fellow mac freaks!

Has anyone in oz got there PB yet?

My re-seller said 'Monday, worst case scenario, Friday' -- it is now the following Friday. Now they tell me Apple will deliver week 4. That's now!?

Also, why do these sales people tell you a few days when it really is a few weeks? Heh, I know the answer to that question - so they can empty your wallet!

Big poo poo to all lyin' sales-gibbons!

2. aic
    macrumors newbie

I orderd my powerbook 15" 1.25 the day after they came out. I haven't heard a peep out of the reseller. Please post when you get yours and i will do likewise so we will have a rough idea of when to expect our new toys

3. macrumors newbie

Ordered a 1.25ghz BTO last Thursday.......they said 10-15 days

Actually in Chatswood (NSW, www.macmall.com.au) AppleCentre they had both 1Ghz and 1.25Ghz stock powerbooks in store and ready to be sold/picked up as of last Thursday.

I should've just got one of the stock machines, *sigh*

4. macrumors 6502

I havent got mine yet, I am hoping 20th or so but it may be as late as end of month. But some have definitily come in all ready. Apparentlly you can also use the 10.2.7 cd with them as a universal updater cd.

5. macrumors 601

cb911

whoa, i feel sorry for all you guys. :(

as you can see i'm in Brisbane... but i went to Sydney for a week, the week after they were released.

I called around in Brisbane, and they thought they'd have a 1-4 week wait before they got any units in stock.

then when i was in Sydney i called NextByte and they had one left at their Pymble store, so i put my name down on that and picked it up on Friday the 26th (Sept). it was 1x512MB RAM model as well... the rest was stock.

i can't beleive people that actually live in Sydney haven't got yours yet. and i just came down from Bris for a 1 week holiday and pickup one up! :p :D

i guess i was just lucky. :D but now i sure am happy :)D) but i feel sorry for everyone else as well :)( ). hope they get to Aus soon.

6. macrumors member

You geezers could always jump the ditch - there's plenty in stock over here in Noo Zoland!

7. thread starter macrumors regular

weev

You lucky boy!

I went to the Apple Centre Taylor Square, Sydney. who were offering $300 off the stock model.

It seemed too good to be true. Could pick one up in 3 days, now it's 14 and counting. They are just smooth liars.

8. macrumors newbie

wow....i just rang my store, and they said....wait for it....

ANOTHER 2 FREAKEN WEEKS.....

oh gosh...never buying another BTO again......

9. thread starter macrumors regular

weev

surreal powebook purchased with non-surreal money

two weeks!

bto? ... what are you, James Bond?

Just kidding. I wanted a single 512Mb chip if only just to avoid making waste, ie, that 128 ram you throw out.

I assumed stock models would come quicker and I could only get a better price on the standard, so I went with the 15" superdrive ($4,495) and am still waiting since 19/9 (for american readers its sept 19; it always throws me out when i see a month BEFORE a day, so I emphathise, or was that emphathize).

But I digress.

And wait.

And wait.

And.

10. macrumors newbie

Apple Continues to delay shipments

Guys,

Im the owner of AppleCentre TaylorSquare, and I have been reading your comments regarding lack of stock for PowerBook 15"s.

The current situation is grim. Apple Computer Australia in all its wisdom and strategy, has again, failed to deliver enough stock to Australian resellers, which means that many Aussie dealers are stuck (like me) in not being able to fulfill back-orders.

When these new powerbooks were announced we placed 65 backorders with customers, on the advice from Apple's product sales teams, that we would receive stocks 1 week from date of announcement.

its now 5 weeks from announcement, and we are still waiting. I have placed calls through to Apple and met with their product sales-teams, however, they remain completely powerless to solve their product supply problems.

We, much like yourselves, are desperate to get these machines to our customers.

And contrary to popular belief, we dont lie to our customers. We state the manufacturers product ETA's. And when your manufacturer continues to place the delivery date backwards, day after day, week after week, it makes us - the dealers - look horrible.

If I could change this situation, I would. I grow tired of loosing customers and hundreds of thousands of dollars annually, because Apple makes no attempt to get its product supply problems sorted.

I do appreciate our customers patience, and if anyone would like to chat with me regarding these delays, I am more than happy to speak in person, and give you all the information you need.

Feel free to call me, 02 9332 8600

BENJAMIN MORGAN
    AppleCentre TaylorSquare

11. aic
    macrumors newbie

Fellow peoples...

I went into My Mac Australia store opposite Fed Sqaure in Melbourne to hassle them on when i expect to get my 15" Book and if i qualify for the free panther upgrade. OMG was i shocked at the response. He said he didnt want to tell me but he wanted to show me.

The guy showed me some website that the apple resellers use to track orders and it had the total ordered and total shipped. Now brace your self...

Some 635 odd had been ordered (cant remember the exact figure) but only 2 had shipped. 2 i say, and mine wasn't one of the 2. The guy told me that he thinks that Apple might be holding things up to ship Panther with the models and he assured me i wouldn't have to pay any money for Panther seeing i have waited since the day they released the product.

Has anyone found any more info ???

12. thread starter macrumors regular

weev

Oh, the angst, the humanity!

So much waiting is not just frustrating in it's own time-sucking way, but costly through lost work that can earn income and loss of professional standing that comes from promising work that you cannot deliver.

I do not understand how resellers can quote such glaringly innacurate supply-date figures and that Apple's own supply management system can say 3 days which turns into 4+ weeks.

That's a big big of crap software that!

Imagine that software running your business. You would be discredited and broke within weeks.

If resellers said 2-4 weeks than I would tell clients I could begin designing their website in 3 or 4 weeks. But when Apple LIES to the resellers who pass on the lie (and in litigation passing another persons lie does not absolve you from also lying) then a lot of pissed-ness happens all round.

Resellers know its a lie and pass it off onto customers and later blame the source of the lie as the culprit.

Peesweeeeek!

13. macrumors newbie

Weev - I have an answer for you.

Weev,

I openly invite your attendance to a product supply briefing with Apple Computer Australia, to which I shall invite the Sales and Marketing departments to explain to you, why they fail to supply product on their scheduled delivery dates.

It will be the perfect opportunity for you to express your clear dissapointment in the company.

Would you like to attend?

14. macrumors newbie

I fully support PowerBookMan. As an ex Apple employee, I know what he (and many others) is going through. We often joked within the company that Apple is successful despite management. I really feel for the resellers as they are often getting feast or famine. This is no way to do business as they have overheads that they must sustain. When you do not get stock, there is no sales especially those resellers that can only sell Apple products. The famine is usually at the start of a product life cycle where Apple announces the new product and gets everyone excited. Of course they get their numbers wrong and everyone has to wait. Then they catch up and for a period of time everyone is happy. Then Apple announces another new product but of course they don't tell anyone including the resellers and try to dump their existing inventory at a good price to the resellers. When that happen, the channel is stuffed with products that will go obsolete as soon as they announce their new products. And the circle goes on. I love the Macs and still own a few of them but I would not buy an Apple resellership even if you paid me.

AppleCentre TaylorSquare is one of the nicer Resellers I have to deal with. The team is young, energetic and passionate. They are not afraid of taking on the big guys. I do not like the bigger resellership as they start to be indifferent to their customers and especially Next Byte. I used to recommend friends to them as I have no access any more to Macs at a good price as an employee would but I have many friends who would not do business with them again. I used to recommend them but I don't anymore as I value my reputation. However, having said that, I am sad that most resellers cannot give the type of service Mac users deserve because these resellers cannot make enough to be able to provide such services. Looks like the Dark side is winning unless the Mac diehards will be more tolerant with supply issues and stick to the good resellers. Remember that "The sweet memory of a CHEAP price will fade very quickly when one encounters NO SERVICE when required".

15. macrumors newbie

My experience:

15" Alu Powerbook Combo 1Ghz, ordered 19/09, received 2/10.

20 Gig, ipod ordered 19/09, received 9/10.

NextByte Elisabeth St Melbourne.

16. macrumors 601

cb911

PowerBookMan, i've always thought that the problem has been with Apple itself... but i can't beleive that people still haven't got their PowerBooks yet!

but it does make a big difference when the re-sellers have a good attitude. even thought i got my PB on the day that i called NextByte about it (26.09. pretty lucky, eh? :D) i would never want to go back to a NextByte shop if i could help it.

perhaps Apple is also trying to fix some of the issues with the PB's before they ship more units? like with the screen not latching as securely as it could?

oh well, i guess there'll be heaps of happy people when (or if:eek:) we finally get the PB's.:rolleyes:

would be a real pain if you'd already paid for everything to get the $300 iPod rebate as well, then had to wait for it to get here, or watch as another re-seller had PB's in stock.

17. macrumors newbie

Ordered exactly 3 weeks ago....still waiting......

Mine's BTO; the stock machines have arrived in Sydney already i'm pretty sure. Even 3 weeks ago when I ordered mine, I could've just walked away with a stock option.....but really, i don't need the superdrive :D

For the price of a superdrive i got an ipod instead (with $300 rebate!) :D

18. thread starter macrumors regular

weev

Mac centric in chatswood have had superdrive powerbooks for several days now, they are really friendly but they don't offer any discount.

So if you are in sydney and you want to pick one up go there, otherwise hang in there for a few more weeks.

i wonder if there are a couple of other issues keeping the products back:

1. manufacturing faults, as mentioned above

2. the coming of Panther, it may be bundled in

My real gripe is, in a nutshell, innacurate info. A friend ordered one through Rochester and was told a few weeks. He will get his about when I get mine and I was told a few days.

Hence, the agro is all mine, and I promise clients work I cannot carry out, which could alomost negate the purchase of the machine in the first place. I have made, in turn, promises I cannot deliver, but feel kind of cheap blaming Apple. So I blame the reseller, the reseller blames Apple and order is as is in the tech jungle!

Breathe in, breathe out.... relaxxxxx:eek:

19. macrumors member

Well, I ordered a 15" 1ghz with backlit keyboard CTO and paid in full on the 26/09 with a 20 gig iPod to qualify for the 300 dollar education bundle rebate. Well, I was told 3-5 days for the iPod and 2-3 weeks for the PB. Well guess what, neither of the products have arrived, and the dude from MyMac can't help me but tell me that Apple Australia is not giving them any information in regards to what in the world is happening with the orders. The least I think they can do is come up with an excuse such as fixing hardware issues to insure that the batch received here won't be affected by some of the issues faced in the earlier batches. If it's Panther that they're delaying everything on, I'm very pissed off about that, cause Panther is all ready to go. What is wrong with shipping PBs with Panther preloaded 1 week before the official packages are sold. I really want answers, but NO ONE can give me anything!!! Zilch, nothing!

I'm having this urge to just fetch out another 900 bucks to simply purchase the 1.25ghz stock model just so that I can use a laptop for my uni work before my semester finishes!!!

But what makes me wonder if why it's taking so long for my iPod to come!

20. aic
    macrumors newbie

I too feel your pain.

I have 1 1/2 weeks left of uni and i really really wanted to take my new Al' Book into class, it seems little point in getting the item delivered during the exam period as i shouldn't be playing with it then ...

Why oh Why did i wait for the new 15" Book???

21. macrumors newbie

My experience: Ordered BTO 12inch on 16th sept via Apple Online. Told it would ship "on or before 17th Oct". I rang Apple last Thursday to ask about Panther dicount for people waiting for their powerbooks. I was given a vague reply which implied they did not know what they where doing re Panther. I was also told that the 17th was a "very optimistic" shipping date for a BTO.

Yesterday (15th Oct) at 5pm I had the joyous email saying it had shipped. Yay!! Just shows again that Apple Australia have no clue or control over factors outside Australia.

Now I want my powerbook delivered before the weekend. I also want to see a coupon saying that I can have Panther at a discount. Do I ask for too much?

22. macrumors member

Well, after spending an hour at the store with the guy calling up Apple Australia, he found out that the actual machine is at French Forest or wherever Apple Australia is located, and that the machine should arrive at the shop either tomorrow or on monday! FINALLY I SAY!!!!

23. macrumors newbie

PowerBooks trickling through.

Today, AppleCentre TaylorSquare received 6 PowerBook 15" units, and are expecting to see most back-orders completed by end of next week.

If you have back-orders with AppleCentre TaylorSquare, you should check in with staff to see where you are located in the que.

Also, as a thank you for your patience, we will be including a gift with your purchase.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding, and we look forward to seeing you all behind your new 15" screens soon.

ALSO: Out of interest, our AppleCentre website goes live in the next 5 days, and will include really cool features like, order tracking, delivery schedules and up-to-date information regarding stock availability with Apple Computer Australia. Information which has previously been unavailable to customers.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding services or facilities that Australian customers would like to see, let me know here and I will get my developers to build it in.

Thanks all.

BENJAMIN MORGAN
    AppleCentre TaylorSquare

24. macrumors member

May I ask what this little gift is? I wouldn't mind if MyMac would do something for me after waiting for such a long time. Although they keep telling me that it's Apple Australia that is causing the delay, which is really true, I'm sure as a customer of MyMac, I am dealing with MyMac and not Apple Australia. Oh well, it doesn't matter. Just curious as to what you're giving out

25. macrumors newbie

OOO

THIS IS SOME NEWS!

gotta check with Chatswood AppleCentre tomorrow.....can't wait!