PB 15" 1.25ghz OR PB 17" 1ghz- 4 design & video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by magneto465, Jan 30, 2004.

1. magneto465 macrumors newbie

i'm about to buy a PB and since the price went down I have the choice of a bigger screen 17" 1ghz or faster processor 15" 1.25 ghz?
    i'll be doing mostly graphic design, some video with afterfx and audio with protools, reason and live.
    which one would you go with.?¿

2. magneto465 thread starter macrumors newbie

has any one heard of any issues with the 'old' 1ghz 17" PBs?¿

3. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

17 is great

I don't know if the .25 processor upgrade is going to outweigh the extra screen real estate.

I have a rev one p-book 17 inch, I have one gig of ram, and things don't seem to lag at all, the whole new adobe CS suite is running smooth and fast....

I have not heard of any problems with the 17, but the 15's there was quite a few screen issues, do a search for the white blotches, and you will see what I mean....

good luck both are awesome systems, you will be happy with your purchase
    !

4. magneto465 thread starter macrumors newbie

you're right
    http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/31/15inch/index.php?redirect=1075473887000
    it seems like all my searches yeilded problems with the 15-inch models only, I guess that's good for those with the 17" one heh,
    I wonder if the new 1.25ghz 15-inch models have the same4 problem.

I saw the specs on barefeats.com and there's some differences with the performance on the 1.25ghz
    http://www.barefeats.com/al15.html
    and the 1ghz, tough call.

any1 doing any processor intensive work like video or 3d rendering with a 1ghz PB,

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

While screen space is nice, I'd probably say go with the 15" as it's a new machine. The 15" has a better graphics card and more processor power. It is more portable and still has a sizeable display. The 15" has USB 2.0 (instead of 1.1) and burns DVDs twice as fast. It's newer tech as well, with twice the L2 cache (although no L3, even though this is outweighed by the extra L2). In benchmark tests the new 15" 1.25 is almost as fast as the new 17" 1.33, and way faster than the 17" 1GHz.

6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I have the rev 1 17 pb and i think its a wonderful machine. I would say go with the the 15 inch just because its a lot faster. The graphics chips are not that great in mine. Really do you want a big screen or speed?
    -ted

7. magneto465 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the 1.25ghz 15" is definitley the one for me (hopefully they fixed these white blotches on the new ones).
    thanks yall!!!

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Yep they have definitely fixed the screen and latch problems that appeared on the 1st Batch of 15" Al Powerbooks. I had to exchange my first one, purchased as soon as they came into stock in the UK. I have been using my new Powerbook for over two months now, screen is perfect. Super machine, I use it more at home than my MDD Dual 1 GHz Powermac.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Rev 1 17" here.

I love the screen for video editing, it makes a huge difference with FCP, and allows multiple apps onscreen for audio as well.

Obviously Expose has changed things a bit, but I still rate a big screen.

My mate has the 1.25 15", and it's a lovely machine too, not that much faster though.

10. Paolo30 macrumors member

If you're doing pro graphics work forget the 15". I've been through 3 of these things (4 screens) and they aren't getting any better. I got the latest one two weeks ago and it's got a white-spotted screen out of the box.
    There are serious unaddressed design flaws with the machine - don't risk it.
    15" al pb 1.25, but not for long...

11. magneto465 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, that's crazy I don't have those white spots, but i'm interested in knowing what other 'serious unaddressed design flaws' you see in it?¿

do you have applecare, or how are you getting these fixed or replaced?¿

sorry to hear that your compys are not great, mine seems to be fine so far i've had it for a week.