PB 15" Video Option - 64 or 128Mb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GladRags, May 6, 2005.

1. GladRags macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2005
    OK, one final decision before I click Buy on a new PowerBook...

If I only use the computer for email/internet/writing, and have no plans to either game or run a secondary monitor, will I see any benefit in choosing 128Mb video memory or can I stick to 64 without concern? I have to admit, I like eye candy, and I wonder if OS X's eye candy will still run fluidly with 64Mb of video RAM, or would it beneficial to get that extra 64?

I guess, while I'm at it, the same would apply to the 1.5 vs 1.67 processor speed - in my situation, will I see benefit for the cost?
  2. stutz macrumors member

Jan 19, 2005
    If all you are going to do it word processing, web, e-mail, photo management, music file management and such, don't bother spending the extra money. 64 mb of vram is fine and will work well for Tiger. It also isn't worth the extra money for the 1.67 ghz G4 over the 1.5.

If you however plan to play any future games or heavy video work, I would very strongly recommend the 9800 option. Tiger was made with lower end systems in mind (like the Mini)

3. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

May 6, 2005
    I would say 128 MB, Tiger and Core image love VRAM, and the machine is more easy to resell after too. But depend on your need, do you plan on keeping the machine for a long time, resell or next version OSX.5 that will surely need more VRAM? Maybe get tempt by video editing? sure 64 MB is enough, but for the difference of price, I would take it.
  4. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Technically for those purposes I would normally say no. But considering coreImage I feel like it might be a smart investment. Eventually (hopefully) your VRAM will be used more for than just eye candy, as for example Photoshop, which to my knowledge would have to be rewritten or at least have significant changes made to.
    Even if you don't need Photoshop, I think it might be worth it because you're computer won't be outdated that quickly and at least to me it seems as we're going to be looking at more VRAM intensive tasks if programers and developers choose to go that route.