1. Jackrabbit Slim macrumors newbie

I'm pondering upgrading from my 12" ibook to a 15" powerbook. I'm finding that the G3 isn't terribly good for video editing (especially with FCP 4, ha ha). But I'm a little scared off by all of the problems people have been reporting. Is it worth risking the hassle of trying to return if it is faulty? And if it is custom built, do you think they would test it before shipping it?
    Some more problems:
    Does anyone know if the belkin BT mouse will be compatible with the onboard bluetooth, b/c it comes with its own adapter?
    Are there any ibook G4/ PB comparisons out yet?
    One last thing...
    What is the cheapest BT cell phone?
    Thanks!

-jesse

2. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

i'm looking at a pb 15in aswell (possibly the 12in) MY friend has a PB 15in and has had none of the reported problems. I chated with the local b.mac tech guy and he hadn't heard of any problems with his customers on the PB 15 (more probelms with the 17in)

I think we just complain in forums more often :) CAll your local mac store and talk to the tech guy. THat what i do to gain perspective before buying as computer.

cheers
    matt

3. mango macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat. I would like to get a shiny new 15" Al book, but am scared that I will get a defective unit. I think I am going to wait for the next revision to fix the latch and screen issues.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mine is perfectly fine along with others with the new 15", I doubt those "issues" are as widespread as some make it out to be.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I had the latch problem. Mostly disappeared, I just have to close it a little harder, nothing I can't deal with. My display is BEAUTIFUL, not a single problem. Except dust...
    I also experienced an odd sound problem. There was some semi-random static affecting all audio out. I wiped the hard drive yesterday before installing Panther, and it hasn't appeared since, so I'm chalking that one up to software.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Come to think of it, I haven't heard that chirping sound either that always cropped up when accessing secure sites.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh yeah, the strange noises coming from the CPU and GPU. I notice them from time to time, they don't bother me either. As long as they still work right...

8. Jackrabbit Slim thread starter macrumors newbie

battery

powerbook g5, how is your battery life? I want more than 2.5 hours out of my laptop.

thanks!

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I haven't checked my battery in Panther yet but I usually got 3-3 1/2 hours out of Jaguar.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh right, battery life. I used to get expected times of 1:30 - 2:00 with Jag. I now get expected times of 2:30 plus. With Mail, Safari, Snak, iChat, Terminal, and Direct connect on, I have an expected time of 2:45. That's with Bluetooth off, AirPort off, a mouse plugged in, external speakers and display set at about 2/3 max.