PB 17" for $2200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pala4833, Mar 9, 2004.

1. pala4833 macrumors newbie

I'm seeing several online retailers offering 17" pb's for about $2200. Is this legit? There's 4 or 5 on CNET's "where to buy DB"

Thanx.

2. jumpman25 macrumors regular

It depends what PB it is. You can probably get the Ti PowerBooks online for about that, but I would be hesitant to purchase one of the new 1.33 GHz Al PowerBooks for that price.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

The Apple website is selling referbished 17" 1GHz PowerBooks at $2200. I would guess that it is the older model that is being sold for that price, not the current 1.33GHz model.

lasuther

5. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

ebay

whatever you do (and i have said this before on many occasions) DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY! Prices there are really to good to be true. People overseas are claiming to have such and such notebook for an insanely great price and they simply take the money without sending the product. Maybe they got a little wiser and raised the prices so it doesn't obviously seem like a scam. I'd be very careful who you buy it from, but that's just me... Mr. Cautious.

6. jumpman25 macrumors regular

I was saying that ebay is a good place to sell your mac as the resale value on ebay is about 90-95% on the newer models given that it is in good condition. Also, ebay is not a bad place to buy Macs. All you need to do is look at the persons feedback and do your research. I don't bid on anything unless the person has 99% positive feedback or more, and make sure that they havent recently had a streak of negative feedback. Also look at the negative feedback reviewers feedback. This will give you an idea of weather their statement about the person was true or not. If you do your research then you don't have much to worry about.

7. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

and don't pay with Western Union!

As someone who has bought and sold several Macs on eBay, beware anyone that asks you to pay by Western Union MO. You have no way of geting your money back, and eBay's guarantees are next to worthless. Paypal's are not much better, but if you pay by credit card through Paypal, you have a decent level of protection (and they have a somewhat decent way fo tracking someone down.)

1. As people have said b4, if it sounds too good to eb true, it probabaly is.
    2. If they will only take a MO or Western Union, run!
    3. If someone offers you free shipping and its goign to overnighted from the UK of Saigon, be smart enough to realize this is a sham. Imagine how much it would cost to do such a thing! You cna barely get soemone to ship a computer from the states for free.
    4. Check what they've sold recently on their feedback rating. If a guy is selling a dual g5 with a 20" cinema display and the only pics are from apple's website, and all the items they've sold are Dale Earnhart mugs and Xena posters for like $5, then you're resobaly assured that there IS no g5 waiting to some across the Atlantic to you.

8. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    it is true you can get a 1.33 17" new from apple for $2,200.

the catch is you have to trade your old tibook in and get the educational discount. i almost did it, even had apple send me the box to do it, but they wanted me to be laptop-less for 15 working days. yeah right!!!