PB AC Adapter gets HOT

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EMKoper, Nov 8, 2004.

1. EMKoper macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    Stafford, VA
    Besides this short thread has anyone else had their PB AC adapter get really hot? Mine tends to when the battery is low, it is plugged in, and the fan runs for a while. I am going to put a contact thermometer on it next time, but it is too hot to hold flat between my hands for more than 3-4 seconds. PB is 12", RevC, 1.33 MHz.
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    All the powerbricks i have used have done the same things you have described.
  3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2003

no no

I have a tit powerbook and its powerbrick runs mildly hot but u can hold it for a while longer than 4 sec, phone apple cause if it shorts out and u pluged it directly in to a power socket with no surge protection u could fry ur pb

best of wises
  4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't worry about it - they all get hot (especially if they are on a rug, etc without air to breathe and distribute the heat properly).
  5. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    The brick on my 1.33 15" PB gets quite warm, but never so hot that I cannot hold it for at least 10-15 seconds. You might want to contact Apple to report this before you fry your investment.
  6. mpinsk macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    mine just gets warm

i have an ibook, and it's ac adapter just gets warm, not so hot that i can't hold it in my hand. maybe have it checked out?

1. G4 12" iBook 800/640/60/Combo
    2. Dual G5 PowerMac 1.8/3.0/250x2/Super/
    23" Apple Cinema/BT Apple Keyboard/BT Logitech MX900/
    3. Sony T610 BT Cell Phone
  7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    Mine burned out once (titanium 1 GHz), don't quite know what went down because it happened during the middle of the night (note: it was plugged into surge protector). I woke up and went to unplug it and it was too hot to handle. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a reddish brown residue where the cord enters the brick and the stench of battery acid. It was a good thing my cat wasn't in the vicinity. It wouldn't deliver a charge afterwards. I took it in and they replaced it on the spot. Never had a problem since. It will get hot but should never get hot hot.
  8. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Every adapter I've had gets hot. Not warm, hot... a trade-off for the small size, for sure. Never had one break, though, so it's probably by design.

...Unreliable power supplies are something that others mention, so you may want to get it checked out if it really is excessive. Guess it's just a fine line.
  9. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Hmm, I have the same PB, and my powerbrick gets just as hot as you describe... I think I can hold it because I prefer to touch really hot things (I've touched glowing stove tops for no apparent reason, I just can't control myself!). But I always just assumed that this was normal... :confused: