PB accessories

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kingsnapped, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

So I've lurked for months and read all the "PB vs ___" threads and decided on a 15" Albook to bring to college. It'll be my primary computer, and its duties will include a lot of video and image editing. I'm getting the bluetooth mouse, an airport extreme base station, and already have my video equipment. I need to know what other peripherals are your faveorites. Should I get a dock for my desk? External speakers? A nice bag? External Mic? Just go ahead and list what you find important in your setup.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Definately get some external speakers. PB speakers are good, but nothing beats a speaker system with a sub. Along the lines of audio, if you don't want speakers, get some really good headphones. I'd also pick up an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard. I have one, and use it with my PB all the time. Very convenient. The PB keyboard is good, but an external keyboard is just plain better. Also, make sure you get some kind of carrying bag. I got an Incase laptop sleeve which I just throw into my backpack. Very convenient, and no one knows I have a laptop on me.

3. ///mdriver macrumors member

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I know I've seen one for the 12" PB, because all the ports are on one side. I don't think you'll find one for the 15" or 17" because the ports are on both sides.

5. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

dock

I thought I saw one a while back. I was wondering if anybody actually had one or had a link to somwhere that sells them.

6. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

7. Cfg5 macrumors regular

that dock will only work with the tibook which has all the ports on the back, the albook as ports on both sides.

8. ///mdriver macrumors member

Has anyone seen a dock that works with both sides?

9. photohead macrumors member

I curve
    klipsch speakers...preferably the promedia 2.1
    waterfield slip case with flap
    apple bluetooth keyboard.
    logitech mx 500 the wireless one has too many gliches for gaming good otherwise
    radtech screen saver
    lacie pocket drive firewire(always convient)
    those nifty usb lites
    and if you are using the pb mostly docked...a firewire or usb pci card
    tumi bag/backpack
    and 23" flat studio monitor...hehehe

N

10. riwanami macrumors member

I agree with Photohead about Griffin's iCurve, which is a "stand" for your PowerBook. You could also go with the Podium Pad if you don't use an external keyboard. Heat can be a major problem for notebooks, especially with smaller fans compared to desktops. Furthermore, if you end up in a dormitory without A/C, you might just use the base of your PowerBook as a microwave.

If you are going to do any video editing, make sure you get something like Griffin's PowerMate or other Contour's Shuttle series, which makes editing much easier. I use it when I edit with Final Cut Pro, and it's really a must.

I'd also recommend an FW800 compatible external 7200rpm hard disk to save your video/image files. Don't ever save huge files on your internal hard drive because it'll slow your PowerBook down. Rather, get a fast external hard drive and work from there. I'll save you from reinstalling your OS every three months.

If you don't and you can pay for it, get an iPod.

11. absurdio macrumors 6502

The external mouse was a good choice. I use my TiBook as a desktop replacement at school, and while the trackpad's fine and all, I think I'd go insane very quickly if i had to use it ALL the time.

I also just ordered myself a D-Link 4 port USB hub because having only two USB ports is kindof a drag when you want to hook up printer, scanner, mouse, digital (still) camera, PDA, and all use USB. It's not exactly the dock you were looking for, I know, but look into it; a hell of a lot of devices use USB, so it's probably worth it. What's more, if you're going to be using your firewire hookup a lot, D-Link also makes a hub with four USB 2.0 and three firewire hookups. Regrettably, it's only firewire 400, but I have a TiBook, 'the hell do I care? (Although even that'll kick the crap out of USB). Anyway, if you want a dock-like device, check out that USB/firewire hub. It's not the same, but hell, it's about $250 cheaper, too.

edit to include this:
    as far as speakers go, Cambridge Soundworks makes absolutely phenominal ones. The sound quality's amazing, the speakers, themselves, are simple and attractive, and they're so cheap it almost hurts me. My speakers are years old and still make me proud and were $40. Quality goes up relative to price, too. Guaranteed you'll be happy with them.

and this:
    It's true: if you can get an ipod, do it.

12. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I just bought a 12" PB and to protect it I got a Crumpler "McBain's Lovechild" bag. It's extremely padded, and strongly stitched. The other plus is that it doesn't really look like a traditional laptop bag, which reduces the chance that it might get stolen.

13. advres Guest

advres

my powerbook setup is used for digital video editing/DVD authoring and graphics work. ideal setup for a college kid like me - not too expensive but gets the job done perfectly. two things that aren't in my profile that I have and you need are external speakers and a hub.

I personally use Roland MA-8 stereo monitors for my sound. also if you are going to be moving your powerbook around (which I assume you would or else you would be getting a G5) you should get a USB/Firewire hub. ports can fill up fast and the least amount of unplugging and plugging the better, for me.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

iPod iPod

My wife refers to my iPod as my "music toy", but seriously - it is great for backing up the disk. Definitely slower than a fast firewire drive, but certainly more versatile. Plus with iSync the iPod basically does triple duty as a read-only PDA.

I currently keep an up-to-date copy of my home directory on there, but I've also used it as a bootable backup when I wanted to repartition the PB's hard drive.

15. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

the hub idea makes a lot of sence. I'm assuming I won't be bringing my camera(s) and other USB/firewire devices I'll accumulate around campus. So I'll go for the Bluetooth mouse and some monitor speakers. I'll look at hubs too, but those can wait until my checkbook recovers. Two more things came to me.

-Will I need a lock? I've always seen that curious lock slot on portables, but have never seen one in use. Good idea/bad idea? Do you have one but never use it? Good models? Enlighten me please.

-Broadband thingee. Until I move out, I'll be sharing my broadband (DSL) modem between my Airport and my... compaq-not to mention my PS2. How can I link these without switching cables all the time? Extra points if I can use them at the same time.

Thank you all.

16. absurdio macrumors 6502

the lock: i DO use the lock on my powerbook. I have a kensington microsaver lock, which you can check out here...
    http://www.kensington.com/html/2219.html
    it looks nice and at least makes me FEEL secure... it's probably a good idea, what with the relative steal-a-bility of laptops...

On another note, I'm looking into the Griffin PowerWave. It's unbelievably sexy, and reasonably well priced for what it is...though if anything, I'll see about asking for that for the hollidays... =)

Anyway, that's more specific to what your plans are for your powerbook. I screw around with music a lot. It would be dreadfully useful to me.

I haven't had anyone TRY to steal my PB that i know about, but...it's probably a worthwhile investment, since it's pretty cheap and a pretty strong deterrent.

17. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

My Powerbook Setup

- Powerbook 1Gz
    - 250gig External Firewire Drive
    - Soundsticks
    - Apple DVI-ADC Adapter
    - Apple 20" Cinema Display
    - Apple Pro Keyboard
    - Apple Pro Mouse
    - Airport Card / Basestation

It really is the best of both worlds.. Bookendz makes docks, but nothing for the aluBook as far as I know.