PB battery drains even when plugged in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moliere, Jul 31, 2005.

1. moliere macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    I've been monitoring the charge on my powerbook, and I noticed that it loses 0.1% of its charge every 8 hours or so. I recalibrated by draining the battery and charging it back up again, and it does charge to 100%, but after a day, the charge is down to about 99.7%. Right now, it's 99.2% although it's been plugged in for the last two days.

I've been monitoring this for the last two weeks, and I find it extremely odd. I reset the PMU, and there is no change in the behavior. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I believe deviation between 98-99.9% is acceptable, it still indicates a "full charge". but i can't explain the behavior. how long have you had the PB, and approx. how many times has it been discharged/recharged?
  3. moliere thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    My powerbook is 6 weeks old. The battery cycle count is 15 (I used it off the charger quite a bit in the first 3 weeks). The funny thing about it is that it does charge to 100% after I connect the charger, then slowly, the percentage decreases over time very consistently.

It's more a matter of curiousity for me right now. The last time I used it off the charger (Wednesday last week), I still got over 3 hours with it, with Airport and BlueTooth on, so the battery seems to be fine. I just don't want anything wonky going on with my brand new powerbook. For the money I spent on it, it better be close to perfect. :cool:
  4. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    yeah it discharges so it doesn't explode in your face since over charging is bad. Most likely it will toggle from anywhere between 95% - 100%.
  5. moliere thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Okay, that does make sense. I still have a ways to go with respect to Apple Care, so I guess I don't have to worry about this too much just yet. Thanks for the insight, though.