pb battery life problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by daxdagr8t, Aug 24, 2004.

1. daxdagr8t macrumors member

I have a 12in pb revc, and for the past week I'm seeing a significant loss in battery life.I used to get four hours on average but now only three hours or even less doing light work.Even when fully charge the battery indicator indicates that I only have 3:30 hours on my batter. now my battery is running low after ihave fully charged it 3hours ago and used it sparingly.any suggestions? :( I already tried recalibrating my battery but i still experience the same problem.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Open up a Terminal and enter this command:

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

That will give you some feedback on your battery's capacity. I don't know what you should be expecting though on the 12 inch, but I'm pretty sure that my 15 inch should be telling me 4600.

3. daxdagr8t thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply.I did that and I got 4502.Is this normal? :confused:

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I have a rev. B 12'' Powerbook and I'm showing 4147 from that command, so I would say yours is in the normal range. When I got my PB is said 4200 but has since decreased since I got it in March. You can try calibrating the battery by running it completely empty, ignoring the warning messages, until the Powerbook forces itself to sleep. At this point, plug it in until it is charged completely.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I think it may be a little low. I always get around 4600 on my 12" pb. I did it now, and got 4668.

Attached Files:

6. jane doe macrumors 6502

PMU reset

Try resetting your PMU and then charge it and see what life you get.

7. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Im sorry. Ive heard this before, but I dont know what it means! PMU? Coul somebody enlighten me?

Thanks
    charlie

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

PMU=power management unit, its an ic on the logic board.
    to reset it, turn your pb off. press ctrl+option+shift+power simultaneously. wait for some time, and turn it on.

9. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

many many thanks.

10. daxdagr8t thread starter macrumors member

I did that, and it seems to solve my battery life problem. :D

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Apple also recommends recalibrating the battery indicator by allowing the battery to run down until the PB goes into forced sleep mode, then recharging. (Not all the time, but when it seems not to get above about 95% charged.)