PB Battery/Power woes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by charmin, May 17, 2006.

1. charmin macrumors member

charmin

I am presently waiting for my third AC adapter to arrive, and then I will be thinking about buying a third battery.

I don't know why they keep breaking. The adapters just stop - the light goes off on them while I'm not even using my PB.

The first battery stopped holding any charge at all - it just died spontaneously. I've had my second battery for about half a year, and about a week ago it decided it would turn off at 60% remaining. Ever since, it has turned off at 60% remaining. If I charge it from that point, it begins charging from 60%. Even the lights on the battery agree with that, when it turns off they all go out, but once it's plugged in again I get 4 lights.

Is my battery definitely going to need replacing? 3 AC adapters and 3 batteries is a good £300. Has anybody else had problems like this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. charmin thread starter macrumors member

charmin

Granted, no I haven't been doing that. But still it seems extreme for these sudden breakages, I assumed that by not calibrating it I was just reducing its total capacity?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You calibrate the battery to ensure the computer knows exactly how much charge it can hold and therefore when to start/stop charging. Overcharging a battery can be quite damaging, which is why calibration is such a good idea. I'd try it now to see if you get any improvements, although I don't have high hopes. :(