PB freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tomaz, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

Hello everyone
    My PB froze twice in the last 24h. The first time the screen just went black and it didn't respond to anything. I had to restart using the ctrl-apple restart-button. When it booted up again, the system time was set to 1969 or something like that and it wouldn't connect to the interneet anymore. I had to restart it again to get it to work again. Then everything worked just fine until now. A few minutes ago, it just froze again, this time the screen did not go black. But I had to ctrl-apple restart again. No problems with the system time though.
    Both times I was not doing anything extreme, I think the only open programs were Safari and iTunes.
    Any ideas??

Thanks, Tom

edit: I did not add any RAM recently. I had my harddrive replaced by an autorized dealer 2 weeks ago. But there were no problems until today.

2. macdad2 macrumors member

Have you installed any new software in the last 2 weeks?

3. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

a few free- and shareware programs (ivolume, podner..), but nothing that runs constantly in the background. And I was not running any of these when the PB crashed... :confused:

4. macdad2 macrumors member

I've found that sometimes free/shareware programs can cause "issues" - especially if you've recently updated your OS as the developers are often a bit behind the compatibilty curve. Maybe repair permissions and also verify that any third party software you installed is fully compatible with whatever version of OSX you have running. Just a guess but it's a start :)

5. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help, I'll check that out over the weekend..

6. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Try seeing what launches in setup and have you had any powercuts recently?

7. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your answers.
    I'm actually mostly worried about the system time going 1969 otr whatever after the crash. Doesn't that sound like a some sort of hardware failure ??

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Sounds like a dead mobo battery

9. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

How could I test that? I should loose sytem time everytime I turn off the PB, right ?

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Losing time on your clock, or it defaulting back to December 31,1969 is usually a good sign. Luckily its cheap to replace, but getting at it could be difficult.

Edit: Since your machine was recently serviced, it may have become unseated too.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It sounds like something, somewhere, is b0rked. Probably the logic board, or it could be the PRAM battery, which keeps the date and other things current (ACK! electrical pun :() when there's no power being supplied.