1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

PB G4 1.67, 15" battery power issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacTavish84, Sep 17, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

MacTavish84

Hi guys,

Basically I'm having issues with my newly acquired Powerbook G4.
    When i bought it the battery was not working at all so have now installed a new replacememnnt battery which works fine but having some slight issues.

So...

• First time I charged it, it reached 100% but green light never came on to indicate full charge.
    • When I run the PB off the battery it gets to 20% and it shuts down without any warning it's low on battery (trying to switch it on after this is impossible, it clearly has no life)
    • After the above I connect the power lead and start up the computer, the battery indicator starts charging from 20% onwards.

Something fishy definitely going on and I have no idea what it could be, I calibrated the battery but it has always cut off at 20% since first charge/discharge. :confused:

Any help is much appreciated, thanks for your time ;)

MacTav :)

2. macrumors 6502

It sounds like it might be a bad cell in the battery is causing your trouble. It wouldn't happen to be one of those NuPower or other non oem batteries would it? I will say that those batteries had been nothing but trouble for me. First one kept losing capacity by 500mah each time I discharged it and the second did not work at all.

3. macrumors newbie

MacTavish84

Yeah bought it on Ebay brand new for £30. I guess you're right maybe the alternative battery is the issue, I was just hoping it was nothing to do with the actual computer itself.
    Do you reckon that after a few cycles the battery will better calibrate? :confused:

4. macrumors 6502

Actually, it will probably get worse as that's what happened with a NuPower that I bought. I'd return the battery and buy one from Apple. Yes its going to be a lot more expensive but it's guaranteed to work. Or you could try another battery supplier, its your call.