PB G4 12": slot drive warping?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by windage, May 30, 2004.

1. windage macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've got a problem with my PB G4 12" that I wanted to air on these forums to see if anybody else has encountered this, or has any advice on how to deal with Apple on repairing it. I apologize for the lengthy post but I didn't want to leave out any info.

First: my PB is still under warranty for a few more months (I bought it around August last year), but I don't have AppleCare.

I've always encountered the typical heat-related warping and bulging on my 12" as described in countless other posts, but it was never bad enough for me to approach Apple for repairs. I was pretty happy with the machine, until a couple months ago.

I started having problems ejecting discs from my combo drive; the disc would pop out a small fraction of the way from the slot and then catch on the felt or rubber lips that protect the slot. Usually the disc would pop out on the fourth or fifth try. It was apparent that the lips were being pulled off and coming loose. So I took the laptop into the local Apple Store to see what could be done.

Lo and behold, the tech held up the machine for my inspection, and part of the case above the slot drive was severely warped and bulged downwards! Sorry I don't have any pictures, but it's about exactly in the middle of the slot, so it's narrow right in the center and normal width toward the edges. I would never have even noticed it until he pointed it out.

The Apple Store tech basically suggested that I had damaged the laptop by closing the lid on something and hence bent the case... despite the fact that the lid is in perfect shape, and *only* the "bottom" half of the case is bent, the area near the keyboard is undamaged (which wouldnt really jive with my closing a pen or something between the lid and case).

I baby my laptops, and this one spent 99.9% of its life sitting on my desk. I've never dropped, abused, or otherwise damaged it. The only thing I can imagine is that the case was warped from day #1, but I never noticed it, and eventually the rubber strips in the slot drive saw too much wear from the messed up case geometry and came loose.

I'm thinking I should have gotten an iBook for the slightly more rugged case but its too late now. :(

So I went ahead and had the machine mailed off to Apple in the hopes I can talk to somebody who won't immediately assume that I abused the PB.

Sigh. Anybody else seen this problem? Even if you don't think you have, unless you look at the drive directly edge on, it's virtually impossible to see.

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thankfully, I've never had that problem. It should not be overheating - especially not enough to warp the case. There's something wrong with it :( . I hope you can get it fixed, but in the future you might consider something like MacMice's iBreeze found here:

http://www.macmice.com/ibreeze.html

Sorry to hear your sad story. Hopefully everything will be figured out and back to normal :) .

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY