PB G4 Can't mount hard disk .. trying Norton but:

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by unregbaron, Oct 31, 2004.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

My friend was running a G4 powerbook in OS 9.2 and needed to delete a load of data on an external lacie hard drive.

During this procedure the machine froze and on start up again had flashing folder icon meaning it couldn't find a disk to start up from.

I am using Norton now but it can't complete all four disk repair operations before it says unknown error -60 then says insufficient memory and that disk may be damaged and try running Norton again.

Shall I just do this and re-run disk doctor again and again until I make progress?

Thanks for any help -

2. cebritt macrumors member

Try Diskwarrior

Try Diskwarrior. It will evaluate the disk without making any changes so you'll be able to see what you'll get or lose. Always, always, always preview the DW changes before clicking the Replace button.

Run the four NDD tests separately, one at a time. It uses less RAM that way.

I used to do computer consulting and I would always rerun any disk utility until it came back clean. That's an old tip I learned in a NetWare 3.11 class.

If NDD and DW fail, your last tool is Data Rescue. It recovered 99% of the files off of a hard drive that crashed really hard.

3. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

4. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

Problem Solved: PB g4 Hd not mounting

After abandoning Norton ('media damaged/insufficient memory') I inserted disk 1 from a friend's OS 10.3 disk set and the machine immediately saw all disks on start-up and gave me the option to start-up or install from the inserted CD or use the OS9.2 or 10.2.8 already there...