PB G4 won't start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by claron, Sep 6, 2006.

1. claron macrumors newbie

My PB finally stopped working yesterday, here are some things I noticed leading up to this.

-First I noticed that the "breathing" light stopped working when I had the PB closed

-Around this time the computer started locking up for short periods of time. I got the little rainbow wheel for several minutes and was not able to do anything. Normally while running Mail, iCal, Adium, Firefox and iTunes.

-The locked up periods started becoming longer and longer. Normally I would restart or shutdown and restart and there was no problem.

-A couple days ago when I restarted it did not want to restart, it froze on the grey window with the apple logo. I restarted again, or several time and it finally worked.

-Yesterday I had it everything going fine and then it completely froze, the rainbow wheel wasnt even spinning and i couldnt move the mouse. When I tried to restart I got a screen (transparent black) that said I needed to restart the computer. I did, and did and did........that is where it sits now.

-I tried to boot from the software disk that came with it and ran the disk utility and it says the disk is unverifiable and unrestorable.

It is a 1.33GHz G4, 768 mb RAM, 60 Gb HD. I have had this computer for about 2.5 years. This is the first and only problem I have had with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It sounds like the hard drive has failed. I'd try to get your data from it via either an external bootable drive or with another Mac + Target Disk Mode. Then I'd start shopping around for a good price on some laptop drives. :)