PB goes to sleep in the middle of my work! :(

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mainstreetmark, Dec 5, 2005.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

A new, and serious, problem has developed with my trusty 1.33GHz PowerBook. It won't stay awake. Given my recent troubles with all my other hardware, I'm hoping the powerbook survives.

Anyways, I came home, took it out of my bag and opened it up, and it wouldn't wake up. No big deal. It's done that before. They all have. I held the power button down for a while so it would reboot. It did. 5 minutes after reboot, in the middle of me doing stuff, it went to sleep again, and wouldn't wake up. Rinse, repeat about 5 times.

I put in the Tiger DVD and tried to boot from it by using System Preferences (took me 3 more times to keep the computer awake long enough to set that)(and i can never remember which keys to hold down during boot). Performed a Repair Permissions and a Verify Disk with no bad news to report.

Well, it slept itself again, so I closed the lid and went to sleep, trying not to think about it.

This morning, it ran for, perhaps, an hour, and then slept. Then, another 20 minutes. Then, when I rebooted, the screen was filled with lots of small blocks until I shut it off.

Then I rebooted and came straight to this forum.

Ideas?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

pull the battery, connect to power supply. Still doing it, or is it compeltely cutting out on you?

Also, you need to do a PMU (Power Management Unit) reset. You can find out how at Apple's Support site.

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

How to reset PMU on 1.33Ghz Al Powerbooks

From Apple support site:

5. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

OK - I reset the PMU (verified by it being 1969 when I booted up) and the battery is out.

Let's see what happens now...

(HOPEFULLY, this will fix it.)

6. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

It's been up for 6 hours and 8 minutes, tho I confess to not "using" it during this time as I was working out in the physical world today.

I am gonna hope that the PMU reset did the trick, because I really couldn't take the PowerBook being dead, as it is my soul source of entertainment (music, DVD's, other stuff)

PS: The battery is still out.
    PPS: I also cleaned the screen, which probably helped. :)

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I had that a couple of weeks ago with my iBook. It was the Ram. I removed it when it totally died on me and now she is working again (slow, but working).

8. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

well, I haven't had any problems since that post, so I'm feeling pretty good right now...