Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
Hi all,

I got my PB last November. In December I had to get a new battery as it was holding about an hour of battery life. This past week a new problem has sprung up... As soon as I take the PB off the mains it will hold the charge for maximum 10minutes and then hibernates. It normally goes off without a warning although today it told me i was 'running on reserve battery power' .. when the meter displayed it as having 62% remaining.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
al3000 said:
Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Am I correct in stating that after you replaced the first battery you weren't having problems for a couple of months? Are you letting the battery drain all the way down on a regularly basis?

You could try re-calibrating of course, but again it sounds like you have another faulty battery. Can you provide some more details on what you've done to try and fix it yourself as well as your battery use habits?

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
Seasought said:
Am I correct in stating that after you replaced the first battery you weren't having problems for a couple of months? Are you letting the battery drain all the way down on a regularly basis?

You could try re-calibrating of course, but again it sounds like you have another faulty battery. Can you provide some more details on what you've done to try and fix it yourself as well as your battery use habits?

That's right, i've had this battery since december with no problems until the past few weeks. I have been letting it drain down on a regular basis, just like the instruction manual says, as for my battery use habits I tend to use the PB off the mains, but like I said I do take it off to run it down occassionaly.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
al3000 said:
That's right, i've had this battery since december with no problems until the past few weeks. I have been letting it drain down on a regular basis, just like the instruction manual says, as for my battery use habits I tend to use the PB off the mains, but like I said I do take it off to run it down occassionaly.

When you let it drain down on a regular basis are you running it past say, 40% of it's capacity? I've read that people who let their battery drain way, way down and then plug it into the adapter can have battery problems over a period of time.

Do you have an Apple Store local and is it under AppleCare still?

Did you / have you recalibrated the battery?

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
Seasought said:
When you let it drain down on a regular basis are you running it past say, 40% of it's capacity? I've read that people who let their battery drain way, way down and then plug it into the adapter can have battery problems over a period of time.

Do you have an Apple Store local and is it under AppleCare still?

Did you / have you recalibrated the battery?

I normally run it down until it is running off reserve. It is still under applecare, but I do not have an apple store local to me.

How do I recalibrate the battery?

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
al3000 said:
I normally run it down until it is running off reserve. It is still under applecare, but I do not have an apple store local to me.

How do I recalibrate the battery?

This is taken from the the following manual located at http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/powerbook/http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PowerBookG4_15in_DblLayerSuperDrive.pdf

The other Powerbook manuals can be found here: http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/powerbook/

Calibrating Your Battery

To get the longest running time from your battery, calibrate it sometime during the
first week you have your PowerBook and repeat these steps occasionally to keep your
battery functioning at its fullest capacity.

To calibrate your battery:

1 Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook battery until the light on
the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar
indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2 Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may use
your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3 Disconnect the power adapter with the PowerBook on and start running it from the
battery. You may use your computer during this time.
When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

4 Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work
and close all applications when the battery gets low and before the system goes to
sleep.

5 Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.

6 Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged
again.

Important: Repeat the calibration process occasionally to keep your battery fully functioning.

I would recommend not running your battery down to empty every time in the future. According to opinions I've received on these boards, it can attribute to battery problems and/or failure if done on a regular basis.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
I have tried re-calibrating, but am still getting the problem. Am I best contacting apple?

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
al3000 said:
I have tried re-calibrating, but am still getting the problem. Am I best contacting apple?

I think so. Also bring up the fact that this is your third battery you've had this issue with, perhaps state that you've had nothing but headaches since getting your Powerbook.

They're more likely to fix the problem (or better) if you get the point across that you're irritated/upset (while being polite). Also mention that it's even more of a hassle since you have to ship your only/primary computer away for weeks at a time for a problem that is never resolved.

Good luck, and be sure to post on what happens. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.