PB issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrackedButter, Oct 9, 2006.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I just bought a second hand 12" PB. It has come with the Tiger install disc only.

For some reason it keeps kernel panicking even after a reinstall and an update.

What can I do?

I've tried to perform a hardware test with the Tiger disk but it boots into OSX instead (am I pressing the right key, it is "C"?) and I've tried to do it with an iBook install CD, as I mentioned above, I only have the Tiger install disc. Should I be able to run a hardware test with an iBook cd?

Anyway, I've taken out the 512 RAM module and put in a 1024 module. Both work, this iBook I'm using has no issues with the RAM from the PB. So it isn't the usual RAM trouble most people get here.

I've also done a disk repair while in Firewire mode from the iBook btw, no issues were uncovered.

What are my options now? Would any of these help?

Format the HD?
    Change the HD?
    Install Panther and see what happens?
    Purchase Applecare and send it in if its still available? It was built between the dates of 26/09/2005 and 02/10/2005. In fact can I still do it even if its second hand?

Many questions hopefully enough answers.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Erase the computer completely and reinstall Tiger is what I'd do. Also maybe the logic board is crap. Not really sure what else it could be.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've disabled the sudden motion sensor incase it is that. Seems if I move it around it'll kernel panic.

I've also taken out the airport card. Where are all the mac gurus' when you need them? :)

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Oh well, thanks anyway I fixed the thing myself. Turning off the motion sensor helped.