PB memory timing? who knows what this means?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andyjamesnelson, Nov 27, 2003.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2003
    Jacob's house
    hi ii just called scan computers to order some ram for me PB, they asked me the ram's timing / or latency of the ram allready installed. does anyone know what this means? and what is the timing of the ram installed by apple?
  2. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    This is the reason I always order it from crucial as they guarantee RAM they select for a given system will work in that system. As for what the CAS / RAS timings are for PB RAM I have no idea. Do you have an existing stick to look at for them. They're probably marked on the label.
  3. hamfist macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2003
    SE Michigan
    the alpb uses ram with a latency of 2.5. From crucial.com 'What does "CL" stand for?
    CL stands for "CAS latency," which is the number of clock cycles it takes before data starts to flow once a command is received. Low CAS latency is faster than high CAS latency. However, faster memory will NOT necessarily make your system faster. Your computer will only run as fast as the "slowest link" in your system, so you can't speed up your computer by adding memory that is faster than your current memory. The way to make your system faster is to add more megabytes (MB) of memory.'

go there for your ram, it is probably the best out there and you know who makes it. i already got burned by macsales.com, which sent me two sticks of bad ram. went to crucial and have had absolutely no problems.