PB not detecting iPod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by spongefran, Jun 22, 2005.

1. spongefran macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new PC->Mac switcher. I just got my beautiful 15", 1.67ghz PowerBook yesterday :). I am having a problem with my iPod Mini in that it is not being detected by iTunes. I've tried using both the USB and the Firewire plugs to not avail. When I connect it, the iPod does the whole "do not disconnect / charging" thing, but iTunes does not indicate in any way that it knows there's an iPod connected. Also, if I go to the iTunes preferences, under the iPod tab it says there is no iPod connected. If I unplug the cable, the PB pops up a message saying a device has been disconnected. If it matters, my iPod has been in use on my PC (originally windows, now running linux) and working just fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this? If there is a way to do it without clearing everything off the iPod, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Pyrus macrumors member

To my knowledge, iPods need to be formatted for Mac if you intend to use it on that system. I might be wrong so make sure before you format it.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

This is incorrect. The iPod will work BETTER on the Mac as HFS+ as opposed to FAT32, but does not need to be HFS+.

I would look in Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and see if your iPod shows up there.

See, your iPod can only be linked to ONE iTunes library. This is currently your PC's library. There are utilities to get the songs off of your iPod, but I don't know of any off hand. Use VersionTracker.com to find them.

Oh, and syncing over FireWire is faster than over USB 2.0. And AFAIK it charges faster too.

4. spongefran thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into disc utility and the computer does recognize the iPod. For some reason, iTunes still does not.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Do that Disc Utility thing again, but click on the iPod and then click the "Mount" button. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to the iTunes lockout that I explained earlier.

6. spongefran thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's already mounted. The mount button is grayed out. When I try to eject it, it says it can not be unmounted because and "make sure that all applications and files are closed on the disk." Not sure what could be using it though, since iTunes is closed.

7. spongefran thread starter macrumors newbie

update: I took it to the apple store. The guy wasn't able to reformat it, and in addition, the click wheel was having some problems, so they're just going to give me a replacement. Thanks for your help!

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yay! Good to hear that you're getting it fixed!