PB now or not? How long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Snowy_River, May 24, 2003.

  1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #1
    Okay, here's the situation...

    I just sold my 600MHz iBook because it was too slow for my needs. From the beginning I have intended to wait for the new 15" PowerBook to be release, as I also would love to have more screen-realestate.

    But now I am facing a minor delema. Two weeks ago my son was born (three weeks early). I want to be able to make movies and burn them to DVD for my parents, etc., but I clearly can't do that with this old PB3400. This isn't yet a critical short-coming, as Chris (my son) is still a very sleepy baby, so photos due pretty well by themselves. But, I'm sure that he's going to start being more active soon (within a couple more weeks), and I will want to start making movies.

    So, I'm turning to all of you. my comrades in computers, with the question 'What should I do?' The university book store here has the combo-drive version of the 12" PB for $1499, but the super-driver version is still $1899. I don't know what their price on the current 15" is, but I am really reluctant to get one of those, regardless.

    So, should I try to muddle through with this 3400 for now? Or should I byte the bullet and get a newer machine? What would you suggest?


    (63...)
     
  2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

    Freg3000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    Wait. I know you have a limited amount of time, but I have a feeling that ALL of the PowerBooks will be updated soon. The 15" is 6 months old, and the 12" and 17" are 5 months old.

    Wait for both you and your son.

    Congratulations by the way!
     
  3. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #3
    That is what I'm inclined to do. I'm just getting nervous with people talking about August ship dates....


    (61...)
     

    Attached Files:

    • c023.jpg
      c023.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
      339
  4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

    jelloshotsrule

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Location:
    serendipity
    #4
    is that a mullet? ;)

    congrats.

    and as for the computer... even if you end up waiting for the 15"... it shouldn't be more than another 2 months (at most)... and as you said, there's only so much interesting going on right now. and worst case, you can always tape the stuff, and just worry about dvd'ing it in a few months....

    in conclusion wait and get a haircut! haha! :)
     
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #5
    hey, congratulations! your son is very cute. :)

    On one hand, $1500 for the 12" combo is very nice. But on the other hand... you seem set on a 15". And we have been hearing rumors that they will be revised by the end of the month... that would mean this tuesday. Call me crazy, but I really belive it this time. I think the 15" albooks are coming, and soon. It's just been too long... the tibooks were updated in november, that's 6 months pushing 7. I say wait...
     
  6. cb911 macrumors 601

    cb911

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2002
    Location:
    BrisVegas, Australia
    #6
    i would suggest that you wait a month or so to see if the new 15" will be out by then. if they aren't out soon, or if they aren't much of an improvement over the TiBooks (ie. a 1.2GHz speedbump...:rolleyes: ) you could always get a 1GHz TiBook with SuperDrive when the new ones come out and save yourself some money.

    it all depends how much you like the new 15", but definitely wait a month or so and see what happens.
     
  7. nikfel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Location:
    MALTA
    #7
    WAIT!!

    Hey I would wait a good month if I where u just to get a feeling where the powerbooks are going, the new 15 inch to be released and WWDC to pass......you may never know for the same amount of money that u where gonna spend on a powerbook u many become a new 970 owner making films of your son with matrix style special effects.
     
  8. tazo macrumors 68040

    tazo

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003
    Location:
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    #8
    even if a 15''alubook comes out (god forbid :mad: ), this tuesday, you wont be able to get it for like 2 months. tiz apple's way of doing busines,s hype a product and then make people wait a long time.
     
  9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

    jelloshotsrule

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Location:
    serendipity
    #9
    that's much less often the case on a small update... ie, not the ones at expos or wwdc's etc... i'd expect it to be shipping within 2 weeks of announcement, assuming it's a "regular" ole tuesday announcement.
     
  10. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

    NavyIntel007

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2002
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #10
    I'm in somewhat of the same boat. I want to get a 15"er but the price is not so right. I'm thinking of waiting until the Aluminum Pbook is out and buying the Gig Tibook. Either that or the low-end 15". If you buy now, the prices will drop for the specs you get and you'll be kicking yourself.
     
  11. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #11
    Well, this isn't universally the case. It's only sometimes the case with the highest end models (like the PM DP1.42, and the 17"PB). Whereas the lower-end models are usually available immediately (like the 12"PB, etc.), or almost so. So, if they released two new models of the 15", then the lower end model might be immediately available, while the high end model (with the same specs as the new 17") might take a month or two to ship.

    Boy, I hope they don't delay these things too much...


    (57...)
     
  12. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    #12
    Don't forget, just because you dont have a computer suitable for editing video, that doesn't stop you from shooting the raw footage. You can wait for a good amount of time provided you have enough DV or Hi8 tapes.
     
  13. donigian macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC, USA
    #13
    That isn't always the case. When the G4 iMacs were originally introduced the top-of-the-line Superdrive one was shipping first. Steve said he was sure that was the one people would want the most, so it would ship first.

    It might also have had something to do with the fact that there was nothing truly "new" about the iMacs.
     
  14. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #14
    That's true. I have yet to buy the video camera yet, but I have one picked out. I'll just make sure to get a couple of extra tapes when I get the camera.

    Of course, my parents won't be happy about a delay, though I suppose I could copy to standard VHS tapes to send to them in the interim.


    (41...)
     
  15. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #15
    True, but I think that this is more what happens in the consumer line, because, as you noted, they really don't have anything 'new' in that line. The Pro line tends to see the delay in the high end models, and I am looking to get a PowerBook...


    (40...)
     

Share This Page