PB on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lpshean, Jul 6, 2005.

1. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

Hmm... i came across many sellers advertising sale of Powerbooks... the new ones mind you.. for a price that is unbelivable.

A 17" PB is about $1,500. Yeah. You heard me. And there are so many other sellers selling supposedly new PB all for super low prices. I was wondering has anyone dealt with eBay regarding the purchase of PB or laptops and all before?

It puzzles me why the prices are so low. :confused:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

if too good to be true ....

well you know the rest !

but check it out and check out there feedback , how long they been on ebay

whats the listing address btw?

3. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Yeah.. Thats what i thought too.. Too good to be true.

APPLE POWERBOOK G4 1.67GHz 17" M9689LL/A SUPR DR LAPTOP
    Item Number: 5011396681

Check it out. Apparently that guy has a good reputation on eBay whatever that means. I sent him an email regarding postal and shipping charges and stuff and i got this reply.

"hi there,
    first i want to tell you my items is brand new in the box. my best
    price is $1200 including s&h.
    i shipp via UPS (air service) from europe ( bc here is my store) , in
    max 2 days this item will be in your home.i prefer to pay me via Western
    union bc is the faster.i am legit with ebay (look at my FeedBack) also
    i have insurance.in case something happens you will get full refounds
    from ebay.
    mail me ASAP"

After reading this post, im thinking twice about this. Don't want to be duped.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

fake don't do it

give away is ......Weston union

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You always have to check out the seller and make sure it is 100 percent legit..I always read their feedback on expensive items..Ebay has all kinds of sellers, good and really bad...

6. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Ssup with western union?

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Whats right with them ?

all the scams under the sun all seem to stem from paying by WU

have a look at this and you might think twice about iffy ebay auctions !

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

8. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Gulp.

Okay.... this is friggin risky. Oh well.. if you cant afford it don't buy it. I guess im sticking with the good ol Apple retail outlet where my stuff is 100% legit. Thats the best bet, IMO.

So much for bargains on eBay. :rolleyes:

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

not all ebay auctions are duff , just you need to keep a keen eye out and double check every thing

lol i love that PPP PowerBook makes me giggle everytime i read it

10. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Haha. Never seen this site before, but the pictures are wayy kewl.

But the horror.. imagine me dishing out $1,400 to this guy in europe only to be shipped this ****. :eek:

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i bet the chaps first word when he opened it began with F lol

priceless

12. wako macrumors 65816

Dont get discouraged man. I did see quite a few PB deals slip away but were actually legit.

If you ever want to buy anything off of ebay and it is a big lump of money, ALWAYS use paypal and ALWAYS make sure they qualify for paypal buyer protection. Basically if they screw you and you paid with Paypal, paypal will refund all your money back to you.

Never pay with anything else, especially wire transfers and western union unless they have a 100% feedback and have more then 500 feedback. Thats my standard.

The guy is a blantant liar though. If you did pay by Western Union ebay will not help you out at all. You wont see a penny back from anywhere.

13. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Even if they have that amount of feedback Western Union is a very very very bad idea! It could be a hijacked account for one thing.

14. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

15. mashinhead macrumors 68020

actually i read an article about a scammer, who was interviewed. Alot hack into accounts with good feedback and set up auctions and thats how they really get you. My rule of thumb is if you're not sure. start emailing others on the feedback list and email them and find out their experience. and i agree if its too good to be true it is.

16. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

You're all probably right.

I don't know nothing on eBay. Havent bought anything over eBay before. And i totally agree with you that if its too good to be true.. it probably is.

But then again, i think PayPal should be secure. Since that guy mentions for me to send money via western union.. its F*** OFF for him eh.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

my guess is that half of the really cheap deals on powerbooks at ebay are scams. the question is do you really want to risk $1500 to save $300?

i had my best experience buying from ebay shops (bought digital cameras, software and stuff). they have lots of feedback, long time track record and they usually keep an eye on their account and check if it's hijacked. and you have a real e-mail and phone number. that makes a scam less likely cause it's more work to set up a scam.

on top of that the shipping cost are often lower and they where very fast.

ebay really has to come up with better buyer/seller protection or the whole platform get a bad image. and that in the end will hurt ebay a lot.

heck, it's so bad that when you try to set up a scam most of the bidders a scammers themself! :D