PB Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #1
    I don't see many should I buy a PB now or wait posts so I figure we need one :).

    Ok, here's my situation. I bought a 12" PB at the last update (I ended up getting the 1GHz when the 1.3GHz came out) and have been very happy with it.

    Anyways, I'm thinking very seriously about upgrading to a 15". I originally wanted to get a 15" but couldn't justify it at the time. Now, seeing how much I use it, it would be much easier to drop the extra cash on the 15".

    So I'm really kicking myself for not taking advantage of the cram and jam promotion before it expired. I'm wondering what advice you guys can offer. Should I buy sooner, wait a bit, etc? I *really* don't need the computer right this second. I think it would make sense to unload the 12" before the 1 year warranty expires but that is quite a ways off.

    The buying advice suggests buy only if you need it now. I'm honestly wondering how soon an upgrade could be. The way I see it, the G5 is the most likely current upgrade and I don't think that's going to happen soon. All the other upgrade paths like the dual core G4 seem to be a ways off. How soon do people expect something to happen?
     
  2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

    hotwire132002

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Location:
    Cadillac, MI
    #2
    I wouldn't think anything more than a speed bump is likely soon... but did you check the MacRumors buyers guide? What's it say? (I forgot to check before posting... D'OH!)
     
  3. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #3
    Yeah, it's buy now only if you need it. I don't *need* it. I'm more or less waiting for an opportune time. Honestly, any speed bump would be nice. My PB is 1GHz which is mostly ok for my needs. But occasionally I need a little bit of power. So I would probably prefer to wait for as much speed as possible. The dual core definitely sounds interesting but I highly doubt that'd be out anytime soon. I'm not exactly sure what sort of speed bump they really have up their sleaves in the near future.
     
  4. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

    hotwire132002

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Location:
    Cadillac, MI
    #4
    In that case, I would suggest waiting until there's a speed bump.
     
  5. DJY macrumors 6502a

    DJY

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra AUST
    #5
    If it works, and you are happy with it - why change now?
    If occasionally you are missing a bit of power - chuck some more RAM in it - and then wait until the G5 PB's whenever they appear next year.
     
  6. yinyang macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Location:
    sunny brisbane
    #6
  7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

    Elan0204

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2002
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #7
    I say wait for the next revision of the 15" PowerBook, and then buy. They are due for an update soon, and it's not like you can't wait a month or two.
     
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #8
    wait. If you buy now and they are updated again soon, you'll be unhappy again. At least, that's how I would feel in your shoes. :D
     
  9. dav macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    #9
    If they are speed bumped, will they use the same RAM?

    Just wondering because I have RAM, and no powerbook. I hope it will work in the new ones.. Did they up the RAM before?
     
  10. jestershinra macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2004
    #10
    Yes, if the PB's undergo a speedbump, they will use the same RAM. Changing the RAM type would mean a major logic board redesign, making it a Rev. A machine- not something I think Apple wants to do.
     
  11. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #11
    I agree 100% on that. I'm just honestly not sure how soon the next update is going to be. I almost feel like the next update may be something like April.
     
  12. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    #12
    thats highly unlikely..they will want it out before christmas shopping...

    it just seems like it wont be forever because when you are waiting to get something like a powerbook if it isnt yesterday it is an eternity. i know.. i am waiting for the spped bump to get a 12"
     
  13. panda macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    #13
    pb updates....

    no one can say for sure when the update will coome, but logic says:

    end of this month begining november is likely.

    1) powerbooks and ibooks have always been updated twice yearly. once in the spring, once in the fall.

    2) the european cram and jam promotion, which is on now, ends on nov 2.

    my guess is that the revision comes shotly thereafter.

    i don't think there has ever been a year-end revision of these laptops later than end november.

    such a revision will likely be a g4 speed bump, as you indicated.

    :)
     
  14. zachj macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    Location:
    Boston
    #14
    Just to give some insight . . . I got my TiBook 18 days before Apple released the AlBooks with much faster processors, faster FSB, infinitely better video card, et al. I was furious, and I'm still angry about it. Apple should know better than to release a major upgrade to the PowerBook line immediately following the back to school rush. That was just plain stupid thinking on their part. I really like the TiBook's looks compared to the AlBook, but the AlBook would seem to be a lot faster. L2 cache, at least in the PC world (which, admittedly, I'm more familiar with), is a much greater influence on processor speed than L3, particularly if it's off-die and not running at full speed. And since I got the low-end model in an outgoing generation, the new PowerBooks are almost twice the speed of my own, although I'd have gotten the 1.33, so I can't really use that argument :D What really hurt was that the price was the exact same as it had been, and you got so much more for the money.

    That's why you wait. Always wait, unless you're looking at a Rev A update (which will either be buggy, hot, or great and you'll kick yourself for buying it or not buying it depending on which it is . . . too much risk), or you know (somehow) that prices are going up and you can't afford to wait.

    That's all I have to say . . . about that.

    Z
     
  15. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    #15
    or was it stupid thinkin on your part for buying one?
    as far as apple goes its very smart for them because the school rush will deplete theri supply and they are then able to release the new line. it will haoppen again this year.
     
  16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #16
    That powerpage story looks like total bulls**t as usual. I'm very much doubting the first crop of PowerBook G5s to be smaller than the G4s and I'd be very sceptical if 1.8 to 2.0 GHz G4s were in "good supply" right now. And 256MB of VRAM standard? Please! :p :rolleyes:

    Tiger being released in January is a possibility though, if they can sort out the interface consisntencies and stuff by then.
     
  17. Champale macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, USA
    #17
    G5 PBs?

    And even if the G5 PB does come out next year, do you really want to be a guinea pig? Given the history of Apple's PB releases, it always seems like early adopters get the shaft more than usual.

    I'm not saying you should buy now, mind. Just pointing out that when G5 PBs do come out, I'm going to wait and take a long hard look at quality control.

    A speed revision for current PBs might be worth the wait though...
     
  18. argonian macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2004
    #18

    I'll agree there... always a risk jumping on strong with a brand new product, whether it be hardware or software... Although, they've done this PB for a while now...

    Oh ya... *waves* HI! I'm new :eek:
    I'm currently waiting for my new PB to arrive!!! (SO excited) I got 12'' 1.33Ghz 768mb RAM 60gig hd Superdrive.


    And about waiting, you can always play the waiting game... but you're always going to be dissapointed the way the computer industry is going. Just make sure whatever you buy is going to suit your needs for a long time. I guess that's my attitude because that's all I can ever afford to do (student). lol
     
  19. zachj macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    Location:
    Boston
    #19
    I resent that. I mean . . . come on! What kinda' thing is that to say? All I meant by that is:

    Without a product roadmap like that produced by Intel, AMD, ATI, NVIDIA, and most other major hardware companies, how am I supposed to know that a new product is coming out? You can't say it was stupid of me to buy one. That's just plain wrong.

    1. I needed a computer for school
    2. I was leaving for school and didn't exactly have the option of waiting if I'd wanted to (assuming I had known about the update).
    3. I didn't know the updates were coming, because I hadn't yet discovered sites like this.

    I understand that Apple has to clear out their inventory before they can introudce a new model . . . demand goes down for the outgoing model, and therefore, so does the price Apple could charge. Common sense . . .

    Sure, you can say it's my fault for not checking. Lots of things are my fault. All I'm saying is that for a major computer maker to hobble an entire entering Freshman class with older models just to clear out inventory is low no matter how you view it.

    Nice comment. Even if it wasn't a personal shot, it's just silly.

    sheesh

    Z
     
  20. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    #20
    i was just using your language in return.

    your rerasons for buying are good ones.. so are apples reasons for the schedule of updates. using that same qualification i dont think either you or apple should "stupid thinking"

    apple has needs as do you and the update schedule they maintain benefits them so they are able to make new computers. It really isnt a secret so you shouldnt feel as if you were "duped"
     
  21. zachj macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    Location:
    Boston
    #21
    I didn't mean to suggest that I was "duped" . . . I meant to say that I thought it was silly timing.

    I understand that if I'd complained loud enough I might have gotten somewhere, and that I could have sold it on eBay and taken maybe a 100 dollar loss and gotten an AlBook. Neither option appealed . . . The first seemed like it was cheating . . . After all, I DID buy it on my own, and that's not their fault. Returning it as defective or returning it within the 14 day return window is just childish if you ask me . . . And I wasn't prepared to deal with the hassle of eBay, and I had already begun using my PowerBook and couldn't exactly exchange it in either case. I had friends that did this. I thought less of them for it.

    What I wanted was for it not to have happened, not for Apple to have remedied "the situation." That's all.

    My needs (as the customer) ARE Apple's needs . . . That's a given. Poor timing of product releases and the like doesn't increase their bottom line.

    Either way, this is off the subject. It really doesn't matter either way. I just wanted to make the point that one needs to time their purchase in order to minimize buyer's remorse and maintain long system life. I never would have thought that 18 days after I got my machine, mine would be nearly half the speed of the top model . . . Doesn't affect its usability, of course, but it does change the resale value.

    So, in conclusion, you can't time a purchase to get the top of the line, because it won't be top of the line for very long. But still, get the best you can afford at the time you can afford it, assuming there are no pending updates, but don't spend more than your needs dictate.

    Regards

    Z
     
  22. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #22
    Just after the latest Powerbooks came out I upgraded my 1.25GHz Powerbook to the 1.5 GHz powerbook. The upgrade cost a net GBP350 ($600), but I got a 20% faster processor, slightly faster graphics card, and a 4x DVD burner. I have to say in hindsight that the processor and graphics cards improvements are not that noticeable, but I am sure they are reducing my rendering time. I think the biggest plus from going from 12" to 15" is the larger screen size, which I think you already recognize.

    As far as the next update is concerned, no one outside of a select few at Apple really knows. However I do believe that the iBooks are due for a speedbump in October in readiness for the key festive sales period. If the iBooks get a bump then it is quite likely that the PB's will too. IMO I don't believe that we will see the PB's go G5 until mid year 2005 at the earliest.
     
  23. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    #23
    it is highly unlikely iBooks will get a bump and PB's wont. there has to be a distinction. and the fac that we wont see G5 PB's for awhile means we are must likely to see a new rev soon.
     

Share This Page